Part 20

Whoever drew the picture above is amazing. I died laughing and thought you all might like to laugh too.

****Trigger Warning**** Mentions of self harm. (Kageyama briefly describes what he saw on Hinata's arm)

Kageyama's POV

It was unbelievable enough that Shoyo's stepdad was forbidding him to see his friends and even going as far as to have someone watch Shoyo and report back to him, but him screaming at Shoyo over the phone really sent me over my boiling point. That wasn't the first time I had heard him yell at him like that either. He had left a voicemail for Shoyo when he stayed at my place the first time. Was his stepdad always like this to him?

"Was that your stepdad screaming on the phone?" Suga, who had looked thoroughly shocked by the phone call, finally closed his mouth and was the first to ask the question I'm sure the rest of the team was thinking.

As soon as Shoyo heard his stepdad yelling his face paled and he practically turned into a ghost. He looked like he was about to puke after hearing Suga's question and he hadn't looked great to start. This morning, he looked like he was on death's door he was so pale. After lunch, thankfully his cheeks were tinted with a rosy red. Hinata still didn't look great though. He had shadows under his eyes and looked almost too thin. He was either very sick that week he'd been at home, or something else was going on entirely.

"Y-yeah. That's my stepdad," he said quietly. He may have not been aware of it but he looked absolutely terrified while on the phone. I clenched my hands into fists. They shook as rage surged through my veins.

"Hinata, is he always like that?" Dadchi and Sugamama entered protective parent mode. As Daichi asked his question his brows furrowed in anger. They both moved closer to Shoyo to get their answers. Shoyo looked between the two and bit his lip. He only did that when he was nervous. This whole situation was causing a lot of stress for him.

"No, he's not." He looked uneasy and it told me he had to be lying.

"This isn't the first time he's yelled at you like that and I'm betting it happens more than you want to admit."

"What are you saying Kageyama?" Daichi asked.

"The first night he stayed at my place he forgot to let his parents know."

"Yeah, that's why he got his phone taken away, right? What about it?"

I nodded at Suga and then continued. "He had a voicemail from his stepdad basically screaming the same thing, to get his ass back home." Everyone glanced at each other and then back at Shoyo. We all knew something was up. The third and second years closed in on Shoyo and he started to look even more uncomfortable.

"You know I wouldn't hesitate to cut the asshole that dared to hurt my sunshine. You know that, right? Hinata, is something going on at home?" Shoyo seemed to only be able to stare at Suga. He bit his bottom lip again and then looked away and down at his feet. It looked like he felt cornered.

"I'm fine. Things are fine. You all worry too much. He's just a hot-tempered guy." He tried to shake it off like things were fine, but he wasn't fooling anyone. "Let's just hurry up and study before it gets too late."

"What? You're still going to stay and tutor us after that phone call?" Tanaka looked at Shoyo like he was nuts.

"Yeah, I can stay for a little. He'll probably calm down if I wait a bit." I was hoping he was telling the truth, though I was getting a sinking suspicion that he wasn't. What was he thinking?

"Are you really going to stay and probably get in more trouble? They can ask you homework questions online. Right guys?" The second years all agreed with me and began packing their things away.