Part 22

***Trigger Warning*** slurs against sexual orientation and abuse (fighting)

Kenma's POV

It didn't take long to get info on Shoyo's uncle and that thug Jiro. Jiro was the son of Goro Okamoto, a prominent head of the house of a Yakuza clan. Koichi had gone to high school with Goro and had been friends ever since. While Jiro's father stayed in the mafia life, Koichi became a top lawyer and helped clear the Yakuza's wrong doings from the inside. Koichi was completely corrupt and had a list of hidden criminal charges of his own. Drunken and disorderly, drunk driving, assault and battery, and the worst of them, attempted murder. The more I read the angrier I got. Shoyo was living under the same roof as this psychopath and had to deal with who knows what. All I knew was that his constant injuries and bruises made sense now.

I clenched my fists and then released a breath and sent the info I learned through the group chat. We needed to get him out of that house. The message I received from Oikawa said that Shoyo would explain everything this weekend. I only hoped that nothing would happen to him before that.

Hinata's POV

Last night had been a whirlwind of several deep emotions that I usually tried to keep buried. It was a bit freeing to know I was no longer alone in this, even if they didn't know exactly what was going on yet. They had an idea. That much was clear.

Oikawa and Iwa dropped me and my bike off in front of Karasuno High in the morning. I thanked them and waved goodbye. After I calmed down last night and got dried and dressed, we laid out pillows and blankets in Oikawa's room and chose a movie on Netflix. We laid down with my body pressed against theirs on each side. It was exactly what I needed. To feel warmth and comfort, to feel wanted and needed. I held on to each of them as we watched and awkward comedy and laughed away our worries.

"Koichi is pissed. Good luck when you go back home," Jiro's words snapping me out of my thoughts as he walked past me while shaking his head.

I clicked my tongue and ignored him as I made my way into the school. I changed my shoes by my locker and went to my classroom. Kageyama was already sitting in his seat. I gave him the best smile I could manage.

"Morning Tobio." He looked up at me surprised for using his name and smiled.

"How are you feeling today?"

"I'm feeling better than I thought I would. I was so scared of any of you finding out anything..." I looked away feeling a little ashamed.

"Listen, nothing you're going through right now is your fault. I can understand being afraid to tell anyone, but I'm glad you're willing to let us help you. You probably feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders. You've been keeping too much to yourself for too long." I only nodded. "I heard we're all going to get together over the weekend. I think our teammates should be there too. They're worried about you too." I sighed but nodded. Kageyama seemed to notice my unease and thankfully changed topics. We went over our English homework until class started.

The day flew by and as it did the lightness, I had felt this morning was replaced with a growing anxiety in my chest. I was afraid to go home tonight, but I couldn't stay away forever. Who knew if Koichi would call the cops on me or pull some underhanded crap? I stayed and watched the team practice to prolong my stay away from home.

"So ginger, how's your side feeling?" I looked up from the floor at coach Ukai.

"It's getting better, but I don't think I should play just yet. I'm pretty sure I'll be fine by the training camp." He quirked the corner of his lips.

"I'm glad to hear it. I thought you'd be harder to convince to stay off the court." I chuckled.

"Yeah, but if I did that then I'd have to wait even longer to play. I rather wait then play for a few minutes and then be out for another who knows how many weeks." The coach reached down and ruffled my hair.