MY PARTNER IN SELF SABOTAGE

Glinda Baker is a terrifying force to be reckoned with.

Unfortunately for me, I must reckon with her every day of my miserable existence.

Today she looked especially nice, her black headband sat neatly in her pale blonde hair which curled perfectly. I was jealous of the graceful way her robes moved about her, and the way her curls gently bounced as she walked.

"You look like shit, are you sick?"

I was not jealous of her personality.

"No, I'm not."

"Ah, I guess this is just how you usually look then."

At least today wasn't a Tuesday.

"What's on the agenda for today, then?" I asked, sighing as I readjusted my satchel.

"The usual, we've got charms and history today. Boring enough to forget every week, is it?"

"I'm sure I don't have to answer that."

"Right you are, anyhow," Glinda started talking about some girl who was in her defense against the dark arts class whose greatest fear was apparently candles, and how silly that was.

"Well, it could burn her house down," I reasoned.

"So could a wand, but we practically sleep with them under our pillows."

"Ooh, that is a fair point."

"Of course it is, I made it."

"Hello there," two unison voices of an easily guessed pair spoke from behind us.

"Ah, the Weasley twins. To what do we owe the absolute pleasure?" Glinda's witty sarcasm missed not a single beat as we turned around to face them.

"George tells me one of you is quite nifty with the ingredients for a wit-sharpener. I was wondering if I could commission a batch."

"You'll have to take that up with him, he's the expert with potions," she jabbed her thumb in my direction.

Don't think I didn't notice the shared look of cleverness that Glinda and George shared, like they were in on a secret I knew nothing about. Jokes on them, I am the secret, and unfortunately I am shockingly self-aware.

"Expert is a bit of a strong word to use," I spoke quickly, remembering the few failed batches that stunk up the dorm for a week.

"Well, what's the price for a batch from a non-expert?" Fred continued, the awkwardness seemingly having no effect on the boy.

"Oh, I don't know about money-," I stammered.

"Charms homework, for a week," Glinda propositioned on my behalf, quirking her eyebrow up. "I happen to know both of you are experts on that."

"Well, we wouldn't say experts," George smoothly humble-bragged, "More like, very talented."

"Extremely," Fred corrected. "Charms homework for a week, sounds like a fair enough trade for a cauldron of wit-sharpener. What'd you say, Soot?"

Hearing just my last name come out of his mouth was enough to make me disassociate for a good few moments before realizing everyone was indeed staring at me.

"Oh, yes. Sounds good enough to me."

"Right on, meet you in the library after four o'clock classes, then?"

"Mm, yes, of course," I mumbled, not even sure this entire conversation wasn't a sleep deprivation induced hallucination.

"Wow, what a player you are," Glinda's sarcasm made another appearance to snap me out of my haze.