THE THIRD TASK

I couldn't help but have a queasy, anxious feeling in my stomach the next few days. All over the school, I hadn't had the chance to run into Fred and get mad at him for what he'd done.

John and Jeremy were in the infirmary, and Fred and George had bloody knuckles. Halla had been spared, but every time I met her eye she would scurry away with a pale face.

"Glinda," I hissed, catching up to her a few feet away, "I know you've seen the twins, where are they?"

"I've been sworn to secrecy," she locked her lips and tossed an invisible key to the side. "They're both bloody terrified of you right now."

"As they should," I muttered, "I can't believe they went and did that."

"In their defense, your friends were being arseholes."

"They don't know any better," I mumbled. "I don't blame them for being curious."

"Horrible excuse, I'm not gay and I know better than to ask about the details of your sexy life."

"You do ask about the details of my sex life," I deadpanned.

"But in a bestfriend way, not a 'so who's the girl' way."

"Ugh," I groaned at the uncomfortable question. "I just never pictured them asking that. I was so caught off guard."

"Yeah, I think anyone would if they were randomly asked."

Fred and George hadn't even been in class, how bad were they trying to avoid me? Neglecting their studies in favor of not seeing me, Merlin's beard they're stupid. They better be glad I don't send Molly an owl about this or they'd get a howler.

"Next time you see them," I rolled my eyes at having to give Glinda a message for my bloody boyfriend, "Please tell them I will show restraint and not beat them up."

"What a saint," she replied dryly. "I'll be your owl if you tell me your trick for the bird assignment in transfiguration."

"Deal," I said smoothly. "See you at dinner."

It had been three afternoons since the twins had become wary of me. Every single day after classes, I would go to the tea parlor and enjoy a nice sit down while I waited to see if they would come face me. It's not like I wanted an apology, I wanted them to apologize to my friends.

The night after the boys were released from the infirmary, John and Jeremy avoided me at all costs, and Halla shied away from me at every opportunity. It was like they didn't want to talk to me at all, and Halla would shit her pants every time we made eye contact and sprint away.

"Shit," I heard whispered from my left. I slid my gaze over to find a sheepish looking Fred Weasley.

"What a greeting," I replied. "So? Explain yourself."

He sighed, slinking into the room with droopy shoulders as he slid his bag off. "Could I at least get a hug first? A kiss?"

In typical Fred fashion, he deflected and wove his arms around my sides, sitting next to me on the couch and pulling me close. Though I tried to hold onto any shred of anger I had left in my body, it was slippery and flew from my grasp.

"Fred," my voice was firm, "You can't go around threatening people, especially my friends. I don't even know what you said to them because they won't even talk to me."

I could feel him deflate behind me, his heartbeat thundering loudly against my back.

"I'm sorry," he spoke lowly, his arms tightening around me. "I'm just so pissed they would even think to speak to you that way, and-"