Chapter 22: Mermaids

"I love you."

All the thoughts in your head disappeared and you simply stood there, almost in disbelief, as your arms hung around her shoulders and her hands gently squeezed your hips.

"You do?" You asked back.

"Mhm," she mumbled, smiling coyly. "I'm sorry I didn't say it sooner."

"No, shut up. Don't apologize," you commanded, putting your index finger to her lips.

The blonde giggled inwardly at your reaction. You smiled at your girl before putting both hands on the side of her face and pulling her in for a bruising kiss. Her hands trailed to your lower back, bringing your bottom halves as close as possible to one another. When you finally came back for air, you touched your foreheads together and stared intently into her crystal blues. You ran the pad of your thumb over her cheek and to her bottom lip, memorizing every minute detail. You were lost in your own little world.

"I love you more," you whispered.

"Impossible, baby," Cate countered softly.

"You make me so fucking happy," you replied, continuing your hushed tones.

"Language!" She joked, earning a playful slap on the arm.

"Owww!" She then went on to fake dramatically.

You rolled your eyes and attempted to break away from her arms but she simply tightened her grip around you. She lifted your feet into the air ever-so-slightly and began to spin the two of you in a circle. You threw your head back, your laugh echoing throughout the space. After a few turns, Cate placed an open-mouthed kiss your neck and returned you to the hardwood. You delicately pecked her lips before laying your head on her chest and relishing in her embrace. You slowly shifted your body weight from side-to-side as if you were dancing.

You were hurriedly, but not regretfully, drawn out of your perfect serenity, when a tiny voice said, "Hey, I want cuddles with y/n!"

You lifted your head to see the baby blonde staring at the two of you, a gigantic smile gracing your face. You decided to play a little game with her Momma.

"Yeah, Cate!" You said, peeling her hands away and pushing her off of you. "Stealing all the cuddles is very, very rude. You should know better."

You walked backwards, pointing your index finger in her direction and swiping it down with your other, feigning shame for Cate's actions.

You quickly reached Edith, grabbing her under the arms and lifting her to settle on your hip. Her head fell to your shoulder, as one of her little hands held the back your neck and the other squeezed the material of the shirt on your chest.

You stuck your tongue out playfully at Cate, the little one yawning in your arms.

"Tired, baby?" You asked quietly while looking down at the child.

Edith shook her head slightly while turning in more towards your chest. Cate looked at her watch, seeing that it was only 6:30.

"Hey E," she said, walking towards the two of you. "How about Mommy helps you go take a quick bath, we can eat dinner, and then we can get extra cuddles on the couch?"

"Y/n," she whined, nuzzling her nose against your shoulder.

"Bambina..."

"I can help her get a bath, I don't mind," you offered to Cate. "As long as that's okay with you."

"More than," Cate said with a smile, taking her hand to rub Edith's back. "Can y/n give you a bath while I figure out dinner, E?"

Edith shook her head again.