CHAPTER 1

Waking up to my phone alarm ringing is the last thing I want to hear

Waking up to my phone alarm ringing is the last thing I want to hear. I feel around my bed side table trying to hit snooze but it just isn't working. Letting my alarm ring for the next 5 minutes, I eventually get out of bed a finally switch the damn thing off.

Silence.

I looked at the time and saw it was only 6:30am. Breathing out a heavy sigh, I get up and make my bed as best as I can since I'm still half asleep, but no matter how tired I am I always make my bed. I don't know why but it feels wrong to leave my bed messy, plus when I get home from school, I don't have to worry about it being a mess and I can climb back into bed with ease.

Since I don't have to leave for school for another hour and an hour I decide to go for a nice long shower and get ready for my final week of my first year at university. I stroll into my bathroom and turn the shower on and let it heat up while I undress. I didn't want to wash my hair as I only washed it a couple of days ago, but since it is the last week, I think I would prefer going to school with fresh hair. I get quite lucky since my hair does not get greasy too fast so I can get away with not washing my hair as often. Stepping into the shower, I let the warm water drip down all over my body.

I end up standing under the water for about 5 minutes before I start moving.

Looking around at the variety of body washes and shampoos my grandmother had bought for me I ended up choosing sweet vanilla. It's one of my all-time favourite scents and you just cannot go wrong with it, it goes with everything. I pumped out about 4 big squirts onto my hand, as my hair is quite thick, and started massaging it into my scalp. This felt like heaven, and smelt like it too. After I rinsed out the shampoo, I grabbed the matching conditioner and pumped some onto my hand. I only put it on my ends as I read somewhere that putting conditioner on your roots is not good for your hair and can make it greasier.

While the conditioner was sitting in my hair, I reached for the vanilla body wash and put some on my sponge. I scrubbed my body, not missing any part, the bubbles started slowly developing all over my body. I was contemplating shaving, it's not like anyone is going to see anything, but I might as well do so I will not have to do it later. Rinsing everything off, I step out the shower and grab the towel that was resting on the side, I grabbed my phone and checked the time. "7:15am, woah I spent ages in there" I said aloud. Unlocking my phone, I opened Spotify and clicked on my playlist. 'Swimming pools' by Kendrick Lamar started playing. Turning up the volume, not too loud so my grandmother hears, but loud enough, I happily walk over to my wardrobe and start scanning through all my clothes. I ended up picking a basic outfit, blue ripped mom jeans, a black crop top and a brown hoodie just in case I get cold, and a pair of white air forces. Basic I know, but it is cute enough for school. I've chosen to leave my hair wet it will dry throughout the day and leave me with my natural waves.

I sent a quick text to my best friend Talia, asking if her brother is still taking us to school

I sent a quick text to my best friend Talia, asking if her brother is still taking us to school. Talia has been my best friend for about 7 years, we met in 6th grade as we were assigned seats next to each other is some of our classes, from then on, we have been friends. Talia is my closest friend; I can say anything to her and I know that she will never tell anyone. That is why she is the only person who knows what happen in the past.

My phone vibrated indicating I got a message. "Yeah, he's cool with it, be outside your house in 30mins <3" I sent a quick thank you message back. I grabbed my backpack which I packed the night before and my phone and headed downstairs.

When I reached the kitchen, I saw my grandmother. I loved her with all my heart, I don't know what I would have done without her. "Good morning" I said as I passed her and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. I noticed she was cooking breakfast, pancakes, my absolute favourite. "Good morning darling" she replied with a grin on her face. My grandmother was 58, but she looked like she was in her 30's. She has taken such good care of herself and it has clearly paid off.

I sat down on one of the stools by the kitchen island and waited till breakfast was ready. About 5 minutes later she puts a plate of pancakes in front of me with fruit and whipped cream on the side. "Thank you" I spoke while having the biggest smile on my face, "you're welcome hun, enjoy". "Oh, I will definitely enjoy this". Wasting no time, I cut up the pancakes and sprinkled some fruit on top, I decided not to have any whipped cream as I was not in the mood for it.

Finishing off the last bite, I check my phone and see its 7:55am, Talia should be here any minute. Normally I would clean up after myself but I have no time today. "Sorry for the mess grandma" " It's okay sweetheart, have a good day at school" she replied. Talia text me and said she was outside. " Bye grandma, love you and I'll see you later" I shouted as I opened the front door, "Bye love you too" she shouted back. That was the last thing I heard as I shut the door.