Chapter 23

"Is there a particular reason, sir Dellenn?"

"There is, but I'm afraid I cannot tell his majesty."

The emperor rose his brows after hearing Reagan's response. He was very curious to know the reason.

"Well." He crossed his arms together, moving his eyes on Reagan.

"Come to think of it, your majesty. This is the first time sir Dellenn directly asked for something." Elvoye spoke, adjusting his glasses on the bridge of his nose.

"Oh?" The emperor looked at Reagan with glimmering eyes. "Then we should do this favor!"

"Actually, his majesty had been talking about dealing with the temple just recently. It seems like both of your goals cross paths, Viscount."

"Yes, we can operate Viscount Dellenn's request along with our original plan."

"Although..." Elvoye paused. "What will the other nobles think about stopping the witch hunt? I have strong guess they'll take it negatively."

The emperor frowned. "Centuries have passed since there was news of witches evading and making havoc in this empire. Those nobles should be lacking in their head, if they take it negatively."

"I agree with your majesty." Reagan spoke. "Also, I would like to request for an approval of my marriage, sire."

They looked at Reagan with surprised eyes.

"..."

"Did you hear that, sir Elvoye?"

"...."

"Yes sire, I heard that too..."

"I think we must've misheard."

"..." Both stared at Reagan with bewildered expressions, speechless at the same time.

"Reagan."

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Be sure to invite us."

Reagan recalled the conversation he had in the palace. He was glad that the emperor decided to help him end the witch hunt.

It had been four months since the conversation occurred.

Since then, Reagan worked tirelessly. Finding evidences of the temple's mismanagement, embezzlement, and illegal doings was what Reagan did. The plan to execute the corruption of the temple was all set. And today was the day, it was all to fall down.

It was all for Rosette's sake.

In the past months, Reagan lived a hellish life. Everyday, he only thought about Rosette. To him, it was hell without her. He felt empty and miserable because of their long separation.

'I miss her so much...'

With devastated eyes, Reagan stared at the ring on his finger. It was the ring Rosette gave him. Reagan had never took it off, not even for a once. He kept it dearly, knowing it was given to him by the woman he loves dearly.

'-ette... I wonder what you are you doing right now?'

'Are you alright? Are you eating well?'

"..."

"-sette..." He silently mumbled.

'I miss you very much, Rosette. It's driving me insane...'

'Do you miss me like I miss you, Rosette? I feel like dying everyday, without you.'

'You never answer my letters...' Reagan thought devastatingly.