Jolie

I'm frozen in place. What the fuck just came out of Flora's mouth?

I stare straight at my locker. "Repeat what you just told me."

When I look at her, she shrinks into herself. She knows she just fucked up.

"Um, I kissed Joel." Her voice is almost nonexistent.

I slam my fist into my locker. I walk to her and keep backing her up in the hallway with fear.

"You have the fucking nerve to kiss Joel, knowing what a pervert he is and also knowing that Tig worships the ground you walk on. You are dead to me."

"What's going on?"

Ciaran walks up to us casually, scratching the back of his neck.

"Telling Flora what a horrible friend she is."

I start toward my little secluded classroom. The desks are facing the walls with dividers between each desk. There is a teacher's desk facing the middle of the room. One other kid is here. He looks like he hates life. We should get along nicely.

"What are you in for?" I ask him.

"Writing penis on the lockers in spray paint. What about you?"

"I got in a screaming match with someone."

"That's it?"

"I also smashed Chloe Franklin's head against the curb but that was after I got the prison sentence here."

"Lit."

"Alright, no talking. I have your assignments for your classes before lunch."

"Of course it's you." I see Dax pulling the papers out of a binder.

"They couldn't find anyone else. So, start working."

Time has slowed down here. There are no clocks, no talking, no free time. You make one noise and Dax freaks the fuck out. I sneezed and the other guy in here said bless you to me and Dax told him he would get his time in here extended if he said another word. What a dick.

The bell to lunch rings and I'm out of there faster than a track runner. Dax tried to stop me. Sorry, I don't have time to have old men flirting with me.

Ciaran steps behind me in the lunch line and wraps his arms around my neck, leaning down to plant a kiss on my cheeks. People stare. I guess I will have to get used to it. It's so fucking cringy.

"How's your jail time?" He asks.

"I'm having a fucking ball. Dax is an asshole. I sneeze and you would have thought I am to blame for the next World War. How's yours?"

"My mom won't shut up about all her shit problems. My dad is doing this and I need to do this at some point. My brother is the greatest thing since color TV. Want to trade?"

"Only if your mom promises to put me out of my misery. This food sucks. Maybe if she wasn't so busy stalking our love story we could have better food."

"Love Story?" Ciaran smirks.

"Don't."

"Let me buy your lunch for our love story."

"No thanks. You're force feeding me dinner, remember?"

We walk to his rowdy table. I spot Harlan and Flora sitting in their usual seats. Flora's face is puffy and red from crying. Tig looks like he's somewhat succeeding at comforting her. She fucking desereves to be sad. Now I'm beginning to think that the way she dresses is not the reason why she doesn't have friends.