Part 9

Things were starting to feel like how they used to with Colby a couple of years ago- which made me terrified and thrilled at the same time. We were texting each day- admittedly some of those texts being sexual. We were making plans to hangout. She was giving me the attention she used to- at work, and also outside of work. 

I just hoped it wouldn't come crashing down, as it did before. 

I had been texting with Dani, and told her that I was going to be working my first solo shift the Tuesday after the party I went to with Colby. Colby was working that night as well, and it made me feel comforted yet nervous that she was going to be there. I didn't want to do anything that would make me look dumb on my first day on my own. Dani said she would come by after my shift was done, we could wait for Colby together, and then the three of us would go get drinks somewhere.

My first shift by myself was honestly stressful. I felt like a chicken running around with my head cut off. But my tables were understanding, and so was the manager when I had put in a wrong menu item. It reminded me why I didn't enjoy serving- but for now, it was what I had to do. 

Colby came up to me while I was panicking at the servers station about putting in the wrong order. She put her hands on my shoulders and said, "Breathe. I've done this a million times. We all have. It's your first solo night. It's okay." 

By the time it was 8:30, and I was the first server cut, I was exhausted. And my feet hurt. I went into the bathroom and changed into leggings, a tank top, and long cardigan in one of the stalls. When I walked to the front of the restaurant, Dani was standing there talking to Courtney, the host. She smiled and waved when she saw me. The times I had seen her she wasn't wearing much makeup, if any, but today she had on a full face of makeup and her hair was lightly curled. She looked...really pretty. I was also very impressed with her makeup skills. 

"You look great!" I said as I hugged her, "I had no idea you were so good at doing makeup." 

"I personally don't think I am anything special, but thank you." Dani grinned, "It's a little secret hobby of mine. 

"Just promise you'll do my makeup one day?" I said to her. 

"Pinky promise." Dani stuck out her pinky, and I locked mine with it, looking at her. She then said, "Want to go chill in my car while we wait for Colby? I am assuming you want to sit down after your first shift, and also get out of here." 

"You just read my mind." I said. We both said bye to Courtney, and then walked to Dani's Tesla. 

The interior of her car was spotless. It was black and white, and it just looked so clean and modern. 

"Sit back and relax." Dani said, "We can just chill while we wait for Colby." 

"Okay." I said, "Tonight was definitely stressful."

"Tell me about it." Dani said. So, I told her the events of the night- and she, like Colby, said those mistakes always happen. 

"Thank you, for making me feel better." I said, "How has your week been?"

"Stressful. Work is always stressful, you know?" Dani said with a weak smile.

"Do you like what you are doing?"

"Not really. But it makes good money. I am able to live on my own. And I can get a nice car like this." Dani laughed, "I try to find joy in things out of work." 

"What are some things you find joy in?" I asked, genuinely curious. 

"I love makeup, as you can see. I also absolutely love to cook and bake. I also really enjoy drawing."