Part 51

A lot can happen in 10 months.

I graduated school, for one. Somehow, some way. I have never been more proud of myself, honestly. Walking with my cap and gown was one of the greatest moments.

I now worked at a local hospital, the same one as Colby's mom, as an X-ray tech, and I decided to further my education and learn how to do ultrasounds.

Dani was doing well in her job, and already was going to be up for another promotion.

I was proud of Colby. She completed two semesters so far for a Medical Coding program, and had two more left. She needed something that was low mobility due to her injury. She was now walking without a cane, but she still walked slowly and with a bit of a limp.
It almost felt like she was a different person sometimes after the accident. She was much more caring and let people in easier. She also started dating someone back in March- a woman named Maya.
And it seemed like she finally met her perfect match.

My wedding was October 30th. That was when Dani and I were able to get a reception hall at the place we wanted. It wasn't going to be a big wedding. It was going to be smaller, around 50 or so people. But we chose a really nice space for our ceremony, and then reception right after.

I bought my dress with Taraji, Nia, Charlotte, and Natalie. Taraji had become like a mother to me- she was everything my biological mother was not to me.
My dress was champagne colored and had a sweetheart neckline.
I wasn't sure if Dani was going to wear a suit or dress.
I tried to get Colby to tell me, but her lips were sealed.

The night before the wedding, I slept at Charlotte's. Dani was going to sleep at our house, and I wanted to sleep out and not see her until the wedding.

To my surprise, my dad and Taraji were at Charlotte's when I arrived.
"I have something for you." my dad said to me, and he pulled out a little gift bag.
"You didn't have to get me anything." I said.
"It's not something I bought. But I think you'll want to wear it tomorrow." my dad handed me the bag.
I reached into the bag and pulled out a small white box.
And I immediately knew what it was when I pulled it out of the box.

Callie used to wear a necklace every single day- it was  simple star made of diamonds. My dad got it for her when she was 8- and she wore it every single day- never took it off.
I didn't know what happened to it when she died.

"I kept this for you." my dad said, "I thought Callie would want you to have it. And I was sure you would want her with you on your wedding day."
"Thank you." I said, pulling my dad in for a hug, "I love you, dad."
"I love you too, Jane." he hugged me back.

The day of the wedding came. It was a cold day, but thankfully not raining.
The wedding was going to start at 2 pm, and then the reception would start at 4.
But we had a lot to do to get ready.

Dani and I decided to not have a wedding party considering our wedding was so small. But Natalie, Taraji, Nia, Charlotte, and I  got ready together. Isabella was going to be the flower girl, so she was at Charlotte's too.
The same girl who did Charlotte's hair and makeup for the wedding did ours.
She made my hair slightly wavy, and and did my makeup light and feminine.
I then slipped into my dress and veil. I looked in the mirror that was in my old room.

I can't believe I'm getting married. And I'm not nervous at all. I am ready. I love Dani, and I am ready.

I was in my room alone, looking in the mirror, when Charlotte came in.
"Can I put Callie's necklace on you?" she asked me.
"Yes." I said, "But we can't cry. Our makeup will get ruined."
Charlotte laughed, "I will try."