Part 28

My birthday started out weird. 

I worked the night before, I closed, so I got out pretty late and just passed out when I got home. When I woke up, I had quite a few texts of people wishing me a happy birthday. I saw the first one sent- at 12:01 AM was from Dani. I smiled to myself when I saw it. 

I saw one from Nia. A long paragraph wishing me a happy birthday, and that this would be my best year yet. 

It was 10 AM when I woke up- and I didn't have a text yet from Colby. Not that it was that weird- she sometimes slept pretty late. But it still felt odd to me- that my girlfriend hadn't wished me a happy birthday yet. I tried to not overthink it. 

I brushed my teeth and hair and then went downstairs. It was Saturday, so Charlotte and Damien were home.

"Happy Birthday!" Charlotte walked over and gave me a hug, "I can't believe that my baby sister is 23!" 

"I made you breakfast! Avocado toast with a poached egg. It's pretty fancy if I do say so myself." Damien grinned at me from the kitchen. 

I walked over to the kitchen table. There was a plate with the avocado toast that looked like it could be something out of a restaurant, a card that was from Charlotte and Damien, and an envelope. When I opened it, it contained a 100 dollar Starbucks gift card. 

"Thank you! I won't have to buy coffee for at least the rest of the year!" I said. 

Damien and Charlotte sat and ate breakfast with me. I kept on glancing down at my phone to see if Colby texted me. Or if my phone was going to vibrate and she was going to call me. 

But there was nothing. Not for the whole hour that I ate breakfast. And the hour after that. By the time it was 12:30 PM, I was annoyed. I knew there was no way that Colby was still asleep. She forced herself to get out of bed before noon. 

I wanted to text her so badly and ask her if she was fine. As far as I knew, the night before there was nothing she was doing. 

I was feeling really anxious. I decided to text Dani. I said: Hey! I am so excited for tonight. Also, have you talked to Colby at all today? 

She texted me back a few minutes later: Same. It'll be a great time. And no, I haven't spoken to her today. Have you not either? 

I texted back: I haven't heard from her. 

Dani said: On your birthday? Wow. I don't know what's wrong with her sometimes. 

I completely agreed. I was getting pissed. Why had she not even sent me a text wishing me a happy birthday? 

Two days prior I told her how this birthday was sad for me. Callie passed away when she was 23. Now, I was the same age as her. And as the months would go on, I would be older than my older sister ever was. And that fact truly gave me a pit in my stomach. 

I was pacing around my room. This wasn't how I wanted to spend my birthday- anxious. I even turned my phone on Airplane mode for fifteen minutes, hoping that there would be a text from Colby when I turned it off.

But there wasn't. At 2:15 PM I was about to text her when finally- she texted me.

I was seething as I read her text. 

It said: Hi babe! I am so sorry I am just texting you now. I didn't have my phone on all morning. I know that's no excuse, but I wanted to wish you a happy birthday. I can't wait to see you later and I hope your day has been good so far. I love you. 

She hoped my day had been good so far? Was she kidding me? 

I sat down for a moment before I answered. Was I overreacting? Was I being a brat, expecting her to text me or call me? At least she had.