Part 24

One thing about the past is that it always can come back to haunt you. 

February had come and gone. It was now the beginning of March, and I was still working at Fiore, not sure yet what I was going to do about school. I was starting to feel as though I was ready to go back in the Fall possibly- but I was not exactly sure what for. 

Dani asked me if I wanted to go out to a bar with her the first Friday in March. I wasn't working, but Colby was- so she was going to meet up with us after. It was a bar called The Pour House- it was new in town and had really good reviews. 

The whole day I had been thinking about Natalie and the baby, just wondering how they both were doing. But I tried to tell myself that I shouldn't care. 

Dani was finished work at 4:30 PM, and she asked me if I could come to her apartment at 8, and then we would go out. She told me that her parents were coming down to see her and take her out to dinner before we were going to go out- and that she would definitely need a drink after seeing them. 

From what I could gather, Dani didn't speak to her parents too much. She didn't have a bad relationship with them, like me, but from what I could tell they didn't seem like the warmest people. She said they were also Conservative- which caused some issues with her being gay- but they eventually somewhat accepted her sexuality. 

I was on my way out when I saw Charlotte and her best friend since forever, Ashley, in the kitchen drinking wine together and eating what looked like prosciutto and crackers. 

"Hey, Jane!" Ashley greeted me, "How are you?" 

"I'm good, it's nice to see you." I said to Ashley, "How are you?" 

"Great! Where are you headed off to, you look cute." Ashley said.

"I am going to a bar with my friend, Dani." I said. 

"You know, I liked her a lot. She was really nice when I met her at the memorial." Charlotte said, "And it was amazing of her to go with you." 

"Agreed." I said, "I am really glad I've become friends with her. If things don't work out with Colby at least I still met Dani." I joked. 

"Are things okay with you and Colby?" Charlotte asked me. 

"Oh yeah, we are fine! I was just kidding." I smiled. 

I headed over to Dani's apartment, and when I pulled up I texted her, just in case her parents were still there. There was a huge black Ford truck in the parking lot in front of her apartment, which I thought could be her father's. 

She texted me that her parents were still there, but they were leaving in a moment, and I was more than welcome to come in. 

I felt slightly nervous walking up to her apartment, I hoped that her parents were going to be at least somewhat nice to me. 

When I walked in her parents were walked toward the door with Dani. I immediately noticed that she looked much more feminine than usual, in a gray turtleneck and jeans. 

"Hey!" she smiled, looking almost relieved to see me. 

"Hi." I smiled back at her. 

"Mom, dad, this is my friend Jane that I was telling you about." Dani said.

Dani looked a lot like her mother. She had blonde hair and Dani's bright blue eyes. She was very petite, and Dani's father was a tall, husky man with salt and pepper hair under a hat. 

"Hi, Jane." Dani's mom greeted me with a handshake, "It's nice to meet you, I'm Dawn." 

"Jay. Pleasure." Dani's dad said, and shook my hand as well.