Sweater

The following day, Lincoln returns to the location where I had been waiting for the prince. "Right, you're here again," he said.

"I don't have anywhere else to go except here," I replied. He passed the paper bag he was holding to me. "What is this for?" I peered inside the paper bag.

"I noticed you haven't had a sweate since yesterday; it's cold out here caused by heavy rain, put one on. Don't fret, I'll give it to you for free."

"But it looks too expensive for me to accept this." I returned the paper bag to him. "Thank you, though."

Lincoln ignored me and simply turned away. "Take it just in case..."

I stopped as I remembered what had happened the day before. Could he have given me a sweater because of that?

"By the way." As he returned his gaze to me, I cast a downward glance. "Aren't you going to the music studio? I heard they're getting ready for the event this month."

I made a shaky motion with my head. "I'll have to wait for the prince to appear."

"Go ahead and practice. Join them, the music club only has six members," he said.

"Six members?" I repeated.

"So you don't know yet. Unfortunately, Borstal students are not interested in joining the music club; instead, they prefer other clubs. That is why it is the lowest club in Borstal; even scholars refuse to join your club." He continued to explain.

"But life without music is boring." I let out a disappointed sigh.

"Well, Borstal students are boring."

"I think so, too," I agreed with a grin.

"However we can't blame them. How about you? What made you choose the music club over the other?"

"As I mentioned yesterday, I'm into music; it's my passion. I enjoy playing... especially the violin," I explained.

"So are they," he said after a brief pause. "They choose what they enjoy and what they excel at."

"However, don't you think it's unfair? Each club has at least 50 members. Just 6 students attempted to join the music club out of the total number of students."

"Yeah, it's fair, it's not always fair, but Borstal isn't about fairness, Gemma." He looks at me right in the eyes. "You'll get used to it." he paused for a moment. "So, what happens now? Are you going to the music studio?"

"I'd like to, but the prince needs..."

"I'll keep an eye on him."

"Huh?"

"Go, Gemma, they need someone like you there,"

I was pleased with what Lincoln said. "Are you serious? You're going to keep an eye on him while I'm in the studio?"

"Yes," he replied with a nod. "You're always waiting for him, Gemma, instead of having fun."

"But what if he came out and noticed I wasn't here? I'm sure he'll tell King that I broke our agreement..."

"Hand over your phone to me." Lincoln held out his hand.

"For what?"

"I'll text you if I think he'll come out,"

"All right." I handed over my phone to him. I watched as he typed his phone number and then handed it back to me.

He showed me his phone's screen. "I'll save your digit," he said as he pushed me away. "Good luck on your first day of practice!" He said out loud.