Jail

I decided to go upstairs when suddenly Prince Emmanuel showed up, wearing something casual as if he was going somewhere. I didn't bother to ask. I just bowed my head to him and was about to take the stairs when Prince Emmanuel grabbed my arm all of a sudden. "Where are you going?" he asked.

"I'm going back to my room," I responded.

"We're leaving; you can't go back." He stated.

"But, Prince, you know I can't leave the palace unless I go to school," I replied.

"Don't worry, I'll be with you, and no one will report to him that we're going out. He grasped my hand in his and drew me into his car.

"Prince Emmanuel, if the King finds out I defy him, we're both dead," I explained.

"Trust me, Gemma." He cracked a grin.

This scene is giving me déjà vu. The prince did what Lincoln did in school. We waited for King Lucien and Prince Augustus's car to leave. I couldn't help but worry that the King would find out I was fleeing the palace, but as Prince Emmanuel said, I should trust him. I wanted to enjoy my weekend, so even though it was against the King's orders to leave the palace, I went with Prince Emmanuel.

"Prince Emmanuel..."

Prince Emmanuel messed up my hair. "We're already here at the palace before they can return," he said as he started the car.

An hour later, Prince Emmanuel was still driving. He indicated the destination was still a long distance away, so I thought of taking a nap on the trip first. The car's slightly bouncing causes me to wake up.

"Good thing you're awake." He said.

"Where are we?" I asked as soon as I opened my eyes.

"See it for yourself," he said, opening the window next to me.

When I saw the name of the place written on the side of its gate, I burst into tears of delight. "Is this r-real?" I asked, perplexed.

"Yes, you will meet your father again." Prince Emmanuel initially got out of the car and then opened the door for me. He took the lead, and I trailed behind. He just came to a halt as soon as we approached the entrance. "I think you should go in."

"Are you not coming with me?"

He shook his head. "Don't get me wrong, I despise dramatic moments, and I often cry when I see such a scene. And one more thing: I don't want to interfere with your time with your father. You two need some alone time."

"Hmm-mm." I nodded.

"I'll be right here, waiting for you." He gave me a wide smile before walking inside the institution.

As I gently walk into the institution, I am overwhelmed with mixed feelings. I was at a loss for words as to how I should be feeling. But the moment I spotted my father sitting at one table, I was overcome with melancholy. As I came closer to him, my lips trembled, wanting to let out a loud sob. "Papa..." I spoke in hushed tones.

When we locked our gazes on each other, my eyes filled up with tears while Papa was fighting back his tears.

"Papa!" I exclaimed.

Papa stood up and opened his arms wide, waiting for me to embrace him. I ran up to him and put my arms around him. "My stone," he said as he stroked the back of my hair. Papa held me until I cried myself free of tears, and my body relaxed in his arms.

Papa breathed a sigh of relief. "I can finally sleep peacefully now that I know you're okay."

"But I'm not OK, papa; seeing you here suffering alone makes me feel horrible. We eat comfortably and sleep in nice beds while you endure staying in cramped quarters." I sobbed. "Papa, we want you back. Please come back."

Papa let go of my hug, caressed my face, and eventually kissed me on the forehead. "Gemma, I'm sorry. I can't go home yet. You know that stone. Forgive me if you're having difficulty in this circumstance right now." He apologized.

My response was almost sobbing.

"Shh, don't cry; everything will be alright."

"Yeah, you're right, papa," I said as I dried my tears with my palm. "Everything will be fine; everyone will realize you did nothing wrong. You'll leave this place soon."

"Don't think about me, Gemma; focus on how you can protect your mama, Allerick, Blythe, and yourself."

"Not just us, papa, I also had to figure out how to protect you. That's exactly what I'm doing right now."

"Whatever your plan is, put it on hold right now. I warned you not to make plans that will not benefit you." Papa warned me with a serious look.

"But if it's good for you, I'll do it."

"What are you intending to do, Gem..."

"He has returned." I quickly shifted the subject before it got to the argument.

"Who's home?" Papa asked, confused.

"Kuya Samuel finally decides to return home," I said.

"Oh..." Papa began to sob and clung to me. "That's great news." That was the only thing he could say, but I could see he was delighted that his oldest son had come home. "This is the first time something positive has happened to me since I was imprisoned."

I made the most of our time together. We relived the good times before Papa was imprisoned. Shared our stories during this unfamiliar experience. We joked, and I did everything I could to make him forget he was in jail. It was the first time I felt this type of delight in a long time, and Papa's words soothed my nerves. I missed this sensation so much that I didn't want to go back to the palace; I wanted to stay here with him until he was free, but I couldn't. And after the visit was ended, I felt pain and anguish again, knowing that it would be a long time before I saw papa again.

"You look after our family well, Stone, and Papa is always proud of you." Papa stroked my cheeks before finally letting go of me. "Things will get better shortly."

I merely nodded, my eyes welling up with tears. We'll get through this, papa, you're in my thoughts and prayers. "Be careful," I stated while flailing my hands in the air.

"I love you, stone," Papa barely whispered as the jail officer snatched him up and led him away.