PROLOGUE

As soon as I opened my eyes, I spotted the little piece of paper on the side table. My tears streamed down my cheeks one after the other as if they couldn't be stopped.

The priest then blesses the couple, joins their hand together, and asks, "Do you take Prince Cynfael Augustus Hearst Clemente as your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

I took out the oxygen mask from my mouth, as well as the needles that had been lodged in my body.

"I do." The best man gives the bride's ring to the priest, who blesses it and hands it to the groom to place on the bride's finger. Then, the maid of honor gives the groom's ring to the priest, who blesses it and hands it to the bride to place on the groom's finger. "I take this ring as a sign of my love and faithfulness in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit."

Even though I was out of breath from weariness, I ran and ran until my body was giving up. I came to a halt for a moment, clutching my chest in the intense anguish I was feeling, feeling anguish knowing he would soon abandon me.

He turned and whispered. "I can't say I DO without you." She smiled as a stream of tears flowed into her eyes faster than her heartbeat.

Those letters made my chest ache even more. Wouldn't this occur if we chose one another? Is she correct when she said, "Perhaps my fate was to meet you but not be with you?"