Day 8: Waterfall Adventure

Maki's POV

I wake up all dazed and confused. What happened last night? I try to think really hard. All I can remember is that some idiot grabbed me and knocked me out. I came to when Neji rescued me. Or was it Kiba? I can't remember right. I was in and out of it. One minute, I'm being held by Neji, then Kiba, then Neji, and back to Kiba again. I felt like I was being passed back and forth like a hot potato.

I don't remember much of what was said. Only my bit about being scared of not being saved. I vaguely remember food and water consumption. I think I even tried walking on my own. It must have not went well. I know I'm not super heavy, but it's a good thing he's really strong. People are heavier when they're weak and helpless to themselves. Then, at some point, Kiba covered me up, and I was out like a light again. Now I'm all rested up and feel much better again.

I walk outside and like how it feels. A gentle breeze nips at my skin while the sun warms my body. I wonder if Kiba wants to go on a walk while it's like this. Spring's here, but winter still lingers. I'd rather be hot than cold. It's easier to find things for cooling off than to warm up with.

I go back inside and find Kiba in the kitchen making a sandwich. "Kiba!" I giggle. He jumps a little, and I laugh. He hangs his head and sighs. "Didn't think I could spook the best nose in the village." I put my hands on my hips. "My stomach is more powerful than my nose right now." He turns to me and smiles. "Did you skip breakfast or something?" I poke his stomach. His cheeks flush. "Not exactly. I burned it off from morning chores." "Oh. I must have been dead to the world when you got up then." I look to the side, feeling slightly embarrassed. For what, I don't know why.

He chuckles softly. "You really were. I tried to wake you up, but you weren't having it." He nervously scratches the back of his head. My stomach sinks. "I didn't do anything stupid, did I?" I can't help but ask. Kiba reaches his hand out and ruffles my hair. "No. But I think you were having a bad dream. You didn't seem to want me to go. I petted your hair while you tightly held my arm. You relaxed a few minutes later." He recounts the memory I have no recollection of. My cheeks feel hot. I bite the inside of my cheek. "Hey, you had a rough night. We made sure you were safe. Neji checked you over with his byakugan this morning." He tries to reassure me. Kiba fills the gap between us and hugs me. I'm too confused to hug back.

I press my cheek against his chest. I'm not crying, but I feel like I am. I don't like that I don't know much. "It's okay. The idiots who kidnapped you didn't do anything other than drug you with sleeping gas. Turns out from what Neji told me this morning that they just wanted a hostage to get Lady Tsunade's attention." He slowly fills me in. "W-Why?" I question. "She owed their leader some money. They were commissioned to get it back. Well, she paid it back to him personally about six months ago. But they were never told." He seems to finish the story. I feel like a weight has been taken off my shoulders.

I wrap my arms around him. "Feeling better about it now?" He gingerly rubs my back. "Yeah. Thank you both for looking out for me." I thank him, starting to relax. "Always." He snickers. I huff out a breath of air. I pull back some to look at him. "So, what did you call my name for all excitedly?" He smirks, grabbing his sandwich and taking a bite. "Oh, that." I laugh nervously. "Wanna go on a walk with me?" I stretch it out, unsure if he wants to. He swallows and licks his lips clean. "Sure. I even know a trail that ends with an awesome waterfall." "Oooh." I can feel my mood improving. I know after last night's incident, he nor Neji's gonna let me out of their sight now. At least for a while, anyway.

I look at his sandwich. Ham and cheese. I feel my stomach rumble a little. I must have been staring too long cause he started laughing. "Want me to make you one?" I nod and give him a little squeeze. "Alright. You'll have to let go, though, cause I can't hold you and make your food." Kiba playfully winks. I let go and step back. "I, I know.." He snickers some more. I watch him make my sandwich.