Day 20: Never Forget How Much I Love You

I've just got back inside from playing with Akamaru when a knock sounds on the door. I open the door and see Neji on the other side. "Hey, Maki." He greets. "Hey you." I walk outside and close the door behind me. Neji wraps me in a hug. I smile. He pulls away just a little. "Wanna go on a walk with me?" He asks. I get excited. "Sure, just let me let Kiba know where I'm going." "Alright." I let go of him and pop back into the house. "Kiba?" I call. "Yeah?" He answers from the kitchen. He steps over, revealing he is getting a drink. "I'm going on a walk with Neji. I'll be back later." I tell him. "Alright, have fun. No falling in any waterfalls, though." Kiba teases. "I know." I blush slightly. I go back to the door and get my regular shoes on.

I walk out and smile. "Ready." When we're far enough away from the house, Neji takes my hand in his. We contently make our way to the walking trail.

We make it to the walking trail and start down the path. I take in the scenery as we walk down the path. A stream catches my eye and I stop. I watch the water flow. "Maki?" I look up at him. "Yeah?" "I need to talk to you." He sounds serious. I nervously chew on my lip. Neji looks down and sighs. I gently squeeze his hand and rub my thumb against his skin. "Maki, things aren't working out. I'm really sorry." As the words come out of his mouth, our hands drop and my heart begins to break. I stare at him in shock. "I feel like we're romantically drifting apart. Despite that, we'll always be good friends." His face was solemn.

My face burned with emotion and hot tears that didn't wait to spill over. "A-Are you s-seeing s-someone else?" "No." "Is this forced?" "No. This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do." His responses were straight, direct, and curt. "T-Then w-why?" I start to cry harder. I lower my head and close my eyes. These tears aren't drying up anytime soon.

I feel arms wrap around my shoulders. I hug him tightly. He gently rubs my back. "I don't know how to explain it but I've been feeling like this for a while now." He's been feeling like this for a while now? Hearing this just hurts me more. Don't tell me he's been staying with me out of pity. Did the project somehow push him away, or did a rumor about Kiba and I get started?

Lots of scenarios float through my head. "No Maki, it's not anything that you're thinking. I'm not pitying you. The project situation isn't pushing me away, and I haven't heard any rumors." He does his best to knock down my fears. "I still love you very much. I just don't romantically anymore. I want to do what's best for you and let you go. You deserve to be happy." I listen. That's all I can do. "It was an accident but I kissed Tenten and I thought you should know. You deserve that much. Now, this doesn't mean I'm going to be with her. That's not the plan or the point of this." I'm just bawling in tears at this point. I've heard enough.

I give in and unwillingly accept that there's nothing I can say or do to fix our relationship. His mind is made. He held me until I couldn't cry in front of him anymore. Neji quietly took me home. When we got to the house, Neji apologized again. I stared at him blankly and emotionless. I couldn't find anything to say, so I just went inside without a word. He sighed and stayed long enough to make sure I was safely indoors.

I don't know how I did it, but I managed to bypass Kiba and his family on my way up to our room. I walked in but left the door ajar. I plop on the bed and lay there. Before long, my tears start flowing again.

Not even five minutes later, I hear the door shut. "Maki?" Kiba calls for me. I can't find my voice to answer him. I then feel the bed dip. Slender fingers start to run through my hair. I cry a little longer until my body won't let me be upset. "N-Neji b-broke up w-with me..." I eventually explained myself. "Why?" He asks, shocked. "He, he said that we grew apart." I try not to get worked up again. I've cried enough. "I'm so sorry, Maki." He rests his hand on my head.

I lay there and sniffle. "C-Can I have my bear pwease?"I ask, not wanting to drag him in my pain. "I've got a better idea." He keeps his voice low. I feel my body being moved. Kiba lays down and pulls me on top of him. He wraps his arms around me and holds me. As I lay there, I don't feel his shirt. I blush and bravely ask about it. "W-Where's your shirt?" "Oh, uh, I was training Akamaru and got pee on it. I was going to put on a new one until I saw you. Taking care of you was more important than putting on a clean shirt." He explains. "Oh.." I didn't know what else to say to that. "I've got you." I sniffle and nod. Kiba starts rubbing my back. Soon, I unintentionally fall asleep on his bare chest.