Day 24: Death By Embarrassment

I feel a little better than the day before. Kiba held me for what felt like an hour. He rocked and swayed me like a child. He also paced the room a couple of times. I somehow never once fell asleep. My view mostly consisted of Kiba's neck or various parts of his room.

Now it's late morning as I sit curled up in bed with a book to distract myself. I'm practically in the middle of it now. I've been reading it off and on lately. Although recent events kinda slowed me down. Now, I'm trying to get back into it to stop thinking about my problems so much.

When I started reading, I had woken up before Kiba. I couldn't fall back asleep, so I decided to pick up my book. When he eventually woke up, he decided to take a shower. I've been by myself for the last fifteen almost twenty minutes. He'll probably be back in another ten.

I finally get so drawn in my book world that I don't even hear the door open. My attention eventually wavers when I feel the bed dip. Without taking my eyes off the words on the page, I slide my hand across the bed until it hits what I'm assuming is a leg. I lightly touch and feel for a few seconds. Yup, definitely a leg.

I momentarily stop reading my book, sliding the bookmark in the crease, and closing it shut. I hold it close to my chest and scoot over, carefully crawling into his lap. I make myself comfortable and lean back. I hear a sigh and a light chuckle. "Well, I was putting on a shirt." My cheeks warm. Oops. I go to scoot up so he can finish, but an arm curling around my waist stops me. "But I guess it can wait a little longer." I look up and see Kiba place his scrunched up shirt on the pillow next to us. He then he wraps his other arm around me. He leans his head forward beside mine. "Go ahead. You can keep reading your book." My skin gets all tingly. "O-Okay." I slowly open my book as he pulls back. I settle back against him and get comfortable.

My stomach fills with butterflies. I don't think I'll ever get used to the feel of his bare skin against mine. I feel it most now because I slept in a tank top. I bring my attention back to my book, slowly slipping back into its captivating world.

I don't know how long it's been since I picked up my book again, but I know it's been a bit since I've read roughly two more chapters. I'm only made aware of this because I hear a loud knock on the front door. When it doesn't seem like anyone's going to answer the door, Kiba starts to get up. "Sorry, I'll be right back." His arms leave my waist. The ring of warmth slowly fades. I turn and look up at him. He smiles and gingerly pets my hair.

He reaches over and grabs his shirt. In the moment it takes him to pick up his shirt, I quickly peck his cheek. It just felt right. The expression on his face makes me blush. I hurriedly try to mask it by going back to my book. But before I do, I catch his lips turning into a small smile.

Kiba's POV

I walk back in my room after taking a shower. I look over to the bed to check on Maki. She's still reading her book. Good. When I woke up, she was already awake and had her nose in some romance book she brought with her. She seems to be doing better than last night.

It pained me not to kiss her back. I wanted to so bad. I've been wanting to kiss her for a while now. But it didn't feel right. The discreet forehead kisses are all I've allowed myself to do. I can't give in to her random bouts of affection. At least not completely. I'm sure I'll slip up on occasion. Maybe she'll start treating me like Naruto.

She adores him. She'll cuddle him and kiss his cheek. I'll admit it makes me a little envious, maybe even a little jealous of him. But I can tell it's not romantic in the sense. It makes me wonder if she ever had a crush on him. Maybe I'll ask one day. If she never falls for me, I'd like what Naruto has with her.

I walk over to my dresser and pull out my tan long sleeve shirt. I close the drawer shut and go to the bed. I sit on the bed completely, deciding not to cross my legs. I begin to put on my shirt when I feel a hand on my leg. I pause and watch her. Before I know it, Maki's scooting into my lap.