Day 13: Only Because it's You

Neji's POV

Tenten and I were on the way to the training area when she spoke up. "Hey, Neji?" "Hm?" I answer. "I uh, I was wondering how you're handling Maki living with Kiba." She quickly averts her gaze from me once the words are out of her mouth. I clear my throat and hold my hands behind my back. "Honestly, I'm a bit jealous but fine all the same." She faintly giggles. "She really loves you, you know. I can tell just by the way she looks at you while we're in class. Kiba's not a threat in the slightest." "I know. It's just the boyfriend in me, I guess." I sigh. She laughs and pats me on the shoulder. We stay silent for the rest of the walk.

We get to the training area and get into a sparring stance. Instead of ninja tools, we decided to use hand to hand this time. At first, it's going pretty well. My face at some point must have changed because she gently smiles at me. "It's normal to feel the way you're feeling." "I know." I mostly try to convince myself. "Just relax." She laughs. "Stop being such a worry wart." I lightly groan. We get a little closer each hit. "Kiba wouldn't purposely try to take Maki from you." Tenten reassures me. We're both starting to break a sweat.

The last hit, we hit our hands. Our faces get really close. And red. Sweat, body heat, and maybe a little bit of embarrassment. We stayed put, unmoving.

I stood there panting. I don't even remember moving. But apparently, we did. I'm not sure which of us leaned in first. Maybe it was both. All I knew was that I liked it and I hate myself for it.

Our arms went limp. We stepped back in disbelief. We ended the training and went our separate ways for the rest of the day. I'm an idiot and a bad boyfriend.

Maki's POV

I was in the bathroom fixing up my hair. I decided to do it half up, half down. I was just finishing up when I heard Kiba call for me. "Hey Maki?!" I put my clip in my hair and walk out the door. "Yeah?" I call back. "Think you can help me for a second?" He asks, his voice getting louder the closer I get to his room.

I walk up to his door and give a warning knock before coming in. I walk in and see Kiba sitting on the edge of the bed. He's hunched over, reaching his hands behind his back. He groans before peering up at me. "I, I can't reach it." He sighs, looking defeated. I raise an eyebrow at him. "Reach what, an itch?" "Y-Yeah. I can't reach it. Scratch my back for me, please?" He cutely pouted. "Sure." I smile and sit next to him. I take my hand and start scratching his back. After a few moments, he grunts. Scratching his back through his shirt doesn't seem to be enough. My nails must be too short.

"Hold on." I take a breath and gently slip my hand up his shirt. Kiba twitches but doesn't move. His skin is soft and warm. I feel my cheeks warm, but I shake it off. "I can take it off." He offers. "It's fine. I don't need to see to scratch your back. I can't feel what you feel silly." I stick my tongue out at him whether he can see it or not. "Alright. Just please make it go away." "Don't worry, I'll take care of it." I start in the middle and allow him to guide me. "Right, up, little to the left, up just a little..." I follow the directions the best I can. "Mmmm. T-There..." He moans in relief when I find it.

Once he starts to relax, I gently rub the spot I scratched for him. "Feel better?" I rest my chin on his shoulder. "Yeah, a lot. Thanks." He relaxes. I quietly sit there rubbing his back. My mind starts to wander.

I notice my backpack on the ground in a corner. It would be simpler, wouldn't it? To just share a room with him. I would only be here to sleep. Nothing else. So it shouldn't be bothering me the way it is. I guess I'm just scared. I know nothing's going to happen.

The project's almost over. I think I can handle sharing a room for the last half. Kiba's proved he's not a girlfriend stealer. He honestly wants to be a good friend. This makes me happy.

I take a deep breath and let it out. "So, I've been thinking, and I'm not opposed to sharing your room." I anxiously await his response. I feel him stretch. "As often as you come in here, you might as well." He chuckles. "Y-Yeah, you're right." I nervously laugh. "I'll protect you from the cold." He slips his arm around my waist and gives me a gentle squeeze. "I know." It was the only response I could think of. It needed more than a simple smile.

I then realized I had stopped rubbing his back. My hand lay there, still. It just rested there. Soaking up the heat radiating off his body. Kiba clears his throat but doesn't bother to ask me to remove my hand. "Anything in particular today?" I stare absent-minded at the floor. "Um, not really." I feel every soft movement he makes. "We could just stay here and lay around." He shrugged. "I don't mind." I start to sit up a little.

I gently remove my hand from under his shirt. He stares at me curiously. I wrap my arm around his waist and hug tight. He smiles and chuckles softly. He then gives me another squeeze but tighter this time.

The rest of the day was uneventful and lazy. It was nice. Lounging around like this. I hope we can have more days like this.