Insomnia

Harry is awoken by his phone bussing on the pillow next to his head. He groans at being woken up, but clicks on the screen anyway. Harry squints at the sudden light offending his tired eyes, but is glad he checked when he sees that Niall had texted him.

Niall: i cant sleep :(

Harry feels a small frown tug his mouth downwards a bit as he reads the message. Niall was used to his insomnia by now so he rarely ever woke Harry when he couldn't sleep, so tonight it must be really bad.

Harry: Wanna Skype babe?

Harry barely has to wait a minute for Niall's answer.

Niall: yes please

Harry props himself up on his pillow against his headboard and grabs his laptop from the bedside table where he had placed it a couple hours ago before he had gone to sleep. He opens it up and wakes up the computer to find a Skype message from Niall.

you online yet?

Harry sends a quick 'yes' and a minute later he is accepting a Skype video call.

"Hey baby" he greets Niall with an easy, yet tired smile.

"Hi Harry" Niall responds in a whisper. "Lou is sleeping so I gotta be quiet." Niall adds, referring to his best mate and room mate at uni. Harry nods.

"I miss you" Harry says fondly.

"I miss you too" Niall agrees with a smile. "Can't wait to see you this weekend."

"Me neither" Harry smiles, but then notices the faint dark circles under Niall's eyes.

"Are you alright Ni?" Harry asks even quieter, tone suddenly concerned. Niall's smile falters and he gives an involuntary sniffle.

"Yeah- it's just been a bit harder than usual to sleep recently..." he replies softly. Harry frowns.

"Recently? So not just tonight then?" Niall shakes his head hesitantly.

"No, all week. I've actually slept and rested maybe 3-4 hours a day." Harry feels stomach twist and he wants nothing more than to be there with Niall in his arms, wispering softly to him until he falls asleep.

"Ni..." Harry says softly, concern in his voice. Niall sighs.

"I'm just tired Harry. I just want to sleep and wake up feeling like I actually rested some." Niall says weakly, rubbing at his tired eyes.

"I wish you had told me earlier babe..." Harry sighs.

"Why? So that you could stay up and be equally as tired as me? Lack of sleep causes insomnia Harry, you don't need it too." Niall whispers fiercely.

"I know, I'm sorry." Harry apologizes for the pretty insensitive thing he had said. Niall's insomnia was something that developed over time and Harry didn't need to induce his own. Niall sighs again.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to get worked up." Harry shrugs and they just stare at each other through their respective screens for a bit.

"Sing to me?" Niall mumbles, head dropping wearily down to his pillow. Harry smiles softly, scootching down his bed a bit so that he can lay down too. He props his head on his hand and looks at Niall.

"What do you want to hear?"

"I dunno, one of your stupid indie bands." Niall mumbles, voice now laced with sleep. Harry chuckes and thinks about that for a minute before beginning to sing.

"October's got those orange eyes and somehow I still lost sight, when you lifted the lid off of my pumpkin head and kissed me goodnight, but oh God that thorn in your side we never quite broke that horse, she slept in the cul-de-sac rye 7 miles from my front porch..." Niall sighs contentedly and Harry watches his breathing slow.

"The stitches in your winter clothes, the chello bows we stole your hair to make them, I'm sorry for the iron shoes we nailed to you, and stuck you in the rain, cold, you sprinted away, you sprinted away to where I don't know, but God's moving in your bloodstream where the cross beats aren't so slow..." Harry fades away as Niall's breathing evens out and he is certain Niall has dropped off.

"I love you" Harry whispers before he settles down into his pillows and closes his eyes, hoping that Niall is finally getting some of the rest he needs.