61

Yaoying returned to her yard, looking at the large plate of naan bread and white warm soup just delivered by the waiter at the long case, remembering the barbecue that had just passed in front of her eyes.

Knowing that eating meat is not forbidden, she doesn't need to be vegetarian every day these days.

On the way back, Yuanjue explained to her that the monk Wang Ting couldn't help eating meat.  Most monks in the Western Regions are like this. There are three pure flesh and five pure flesh. The three pure flesh means no killing, no killing, and no killing for me. The five pure flesh is based on the former and two kinds: self-death.  , Bird residue.

That is to say, I did not see the animal killed with my own eyes, did not hear that the animal was killed or heard that the animal was killed for himself. It was not killed for himself or he wanted to eat it, or it was pure meat that could be eaten.

However, seasonings should not be used when cooking clean meat. The monks do not touch the fishy meat. The "meat" refers to the pungent seasonings such as onion, ginger, and garlic.

In addition, if a monk is sick and needs to eat meat, he can also make an exception to eat meat.

Yaoying suddenly realized.

It is not uncommon for the precepts of different regions to have subtle differences.

For example, in the past, monks had the rule of not eating at noon. After eating at noon, they could not eat until the next day, which is called "hold fast".  After Buddhism was introduced to the Central Plains, this rule changed. Many Central Plains monks gave up not eating lunch and started three meals a day, otherwise they would not be able to guarantee their physical strength.

Buddhism originated in Tianzhu. At first, most of the monks came from the Tianzhu aristocracy. The basic principles of Buddhism are closely related to Tianzhu society. When it first spread to the Central Plains, it was dissatisfied with the traditional patriarchal ethics and Confucianism of the Central Plains.  Later, Buddhism adapted measures to local conditions, adjusted and changed according to the patriarchal ethics of the Central Plains, and continued to develop and evolve. Only by absorbing ordinary people from the lower classes, could Buddhism be spread and popularized in the Central Plains.

The national conditions of the Western Regions are different from those of the Central Plains. The development of Buddhism naturally shows another aspect. In some countries of the Western Regions, all the people are believers, and the monks have a very high status and are closely related to the aristocracy. Sometimes the secular kingship and religious authority  It can even be controlled by one person.

In short, different regions have different customs.

The Central Plains has strict discipline. An emperor in the Southern and Northern Dynasties issued the "Break off Wine", prohibiting killing and asking monks to cut off meat. In addition, the Central Plains monks do not rely on begging for alms, and are given fields and cultivated fields. They cultivate themselves and are completely self-sufficient.  , So you don’t need to eat meat.

Yaoying remembers that when Master Xuanzang went west to learn the scriptures, when he passed through the Western Regions, the monks were carnivorous.  She thought that the Scriptures recommended by the royal court had vague signs of the transition from the Hinayana to the Mahayana. She should not eat fishy. She thought that monks should be respected and follow the local customs.

She told the soldiers that the soldiers jumped three feet high with joy-they are warriors, and they are vegetarians every day, and they are going crazy!

.........

On the other end, Yuanjue went back to the meditation house, reported the incident to Tamara Gha, and said with a smile: "Wang, the temple owner did not neglect Princess Wen Zhao. When the princess moved in, he offered to eat only vegetarian food, but the temple owner did not let anyone give it away.  Give her other food."