8. Moving On

Elena opened the front door to Matt dressed in a jacket and tie, looking sharper than ever.

"You look nice." He smiled. It was reminiscent of their first date. She wondered if it would become a tale of old friends sparking new romance.

"Thanks." Matt escorted her to his car, opening the door for her. He was acting like a proper gentleman. It reminded her of Elijah and she felt a dull ache in her heart.

"Are you sure you still want to do this? I can always tell Ty something came up at the station." She was surprised that he still knew her so well.

"I'm sure. It'll be nice to spend time with everyone again." She had found some comfort in the fact that Jenna would be there and Matt's presence was easing her worries.

"It's a shame Bon and Care aren't around." Matt chuckled. Elena nodded, resting her head on the window, and watched as the streets of Mystic Falls passed by. Things had changed but it was still the place she had grown up. Matt pulled up to the Lockwood Mansion.

"It looks the same." Elena laughed lightly, staring up at the massive house.

"They did a few renovations inside but nothing too crazy. Ty thought it was a way to honour his dad." Matt explained. Elena nodded in understanding. It had been years since she had seen Tyler, despite her aunt's relationship with his uncle.

They got out of the car and walked to the front door together. Elena looped her arm through Matt's as he knocked. The door swung open and Matt's sister stood in front of them. Vicki had changed since the last time Elena had seen her. The two hadn't seen much of each other after Vicki broke up with her brother.

"Talk about a blast from the past." Vicki grinned, her eyes running over the pair at the door. "Come on in." As they stepped inside, she pulled them both into a hug.

"Mason and Jenna are going to be late," Elena informed her as they separated.

"Mason texted Tyler. We can have a drink or two while we wait." Vicki took their coats and led them to the living room. As soon as they stepped into the room, Tyler tackled his best friend in a hug. The two began to talk animatedly as Vicki and Elena stood off to the side.

"You know there are times when I think Tyler married the wrong Donovan," Vicki told Elena as the two friends chatted. "They had lunch yesterday." Elena was happy that Vicki was not acting weird around her. After a few minutes, Tyler finally noticed Elena's presence and turned his attention away from Matt to greet her.

"Mason told me you were in town but I almost didn't believe him." Tyler teased as the two old friends embraced. "How have you been?" Elena could not begin to explain to Tyler the past year of her life.

"Went through a tough breakup but I guess things are starting to look up." Tyler glanced over at Matt with a smile.

"Are you two...?" Matt blushed as he and Elena shared an awkward look in response to Tyler's implication.

"Not exactly."

"You brought her here for a reason, Matty." Vicki piped up earning an annoyed glare from her brother. Matt looked back at Elena, her cheeks tinted red to match his.

"I think Jenna secretly paid him to get me out of the house." Elena quipped, trying to ease the awkward tension.

"Yeah but not enough to take you out to dinner so I figured I just bring you here." Matt retorted and they fell nicely into flirty banter. Tyler eyed the pair but decided not to press further. The old friends talked, catching up after years apart.

"Did Matty tell you he's been making the shift into politics?" Vicki asked Elena, who was startled by the news. "You're looking at the next mayor of Mystic Falls."