Chapter 3. The Journey begins

~TA 2941 27 of April~

In the morning I wake up just in time to have breakfast with Fili and Kili. I am just finishing my bread Thorin step into the kitchen and say "Hurry up, we have to leave". I get up quickly and go to get my backpack and sword. After locking my room door and slipping my keys into my backpack, I run out after the dwarves. On the way I see many hobbits look at me in disapproval, it still hurt, but I hope that I can be friends with the dwarves.

The ponies are waiting right on the border of the Shire. I watch as the others take their pony's and one what was left without a dwarf, I suppose it was for me. "Fili, Kili can I ride with you" I ask them as I climb on the back of the pony. "Of course Miss" Fili replies. " Don't be so formal, just call me Y/N. And don't behave to good, I like pranks and sword fighting" I tell them, they look at me wondering for a moment before Kili replies "Okay Y/N. I feel like we're going to have fun and I think we will become good friend too". "Well then you are my first friends" I say with a happy smile, they are really my first friends. "Well then we're the first ones and we'll take all the fun out of it" Fili say with a grin. I don't think that this trip will be so lonely as I first thought.

After riding for a moment, I heard Bilbo shout behind us "Wait! Wait! I signed it!". As the dwarves stop their pony's, Bilbo hand the contract over to Balin, who read it with a glass and smiles at my brother, saying "Everything appears to be in order. Welcome, Master Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield.". The other dwarves cheer, but Thorin doesn't look happy at all. Does he ever smile? "Give him a pony." Thorin say. "No, no, no, no, that--that won't be necessary, thank you, but I--I'm sure I can keep up on foot. I-- I--I've done my fair share of walking holidays, you know. I even got as far as Frogmorton once--WAGH!" Bilbo say before Fili and Kili lift him on the pony. I laugh at his expression, he has never do something like this.

It's amusing to watch how uncomfortable Bilbo looks while riding on a pony, especially when the pony throws it's head back. "Come on, Nori, pay up. Go on." Oin shout. Nori throw a bag with money to Oin, and after that everyone start throwing money bags at each other. "Hey, hey, hey!" Oin exclaim. "What's that about?" Bilbo ask Gandalf. "Oh, they took wagers on whether or not you'd turn up. Most of them bet that you wouldn't." Gandalf answer. "What did you think?" Bilbo ask curious. While Gandalf grab a bag, he say "My dear fellow, I never doubted you for a second." Just then Kili get a money bag, after taking some of the money, he give part to Fili and another to me. "I can't take this" I say trying to give it back. "Keep it, you are our friend now, we'll share it with you" Kili replies. I smile at them, I have never be so happy as with them.

After a moment, Bilbo sneezes and say "Ohh. All this horse hair, I'm having a reaction. No, no, wait, wait, stop! Stop! We have to turn around." In same time he was looking in his pockets, probably looking for a handkerchief. Everyone stops and looks at Bilbo asking what's wrong. "What on earth is the matter?" Gandalf ask. "I forgot my handkerchief." Bilbo answer, I roll my eyes at him. Bofur tears a piece of his clothes and throw it to my brother saying "Here! Use this.". When Bilbo grabs it he look at it in disgust. The dwarves and I laugh. "Move on." Thorin say and everyone continues moving. "You'll have to manage without pocket-handkerchiefs and a good many other things, Bilbo Baggins, before we reach our journey's end. You were born to the rolling hills and little rivers of the Shire, but home is now behind you; the world is ahead." Gandalf say wisely.

________________________________________

~TA 2941 2 of May~

One evening we camp near the edge of a cliff. I sit in a cave between Fili and Kili and watch Bilbo feeding a apple to his pony. We hear a shout in the night as Bilbo ask worried "What was that?". "Orcs." Kili replies. I saw Thorin startle awake. "Orcs?" Bilbo ask in horror. "Throat-cutters. There'll be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them." Fili say. "They strike in the wee small hours, when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet; no screams, just lots of blood." Kili say, they look at each other and laugh. "You think that's funny? You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" Thorin say angrily to Fili and Kili. "We didn't mean anything by it." Kili respond with clear shame. "No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world" Thorin say and walks to the edge of the cliff. I lay my hands on the hands of Fili and Kili, trying to comfort them, they take my hands in their own.

Balin steps to us and start telling a story about Thorin "Don't mind him, laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria. But our enemy had got there first. Moria had been taken by legions of Orcs lead by the most vile of all their race: Azog, the Defiler. The giant Gundabad Orc had sworn to wipe out the line of Durin. He began by beheading the King. Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief. He went missing, taken prisoner or killed, we did not know. We were leaderless. Defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him: a young dwarf prince facing down the Pale Orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe, his armor rent...wielding nothing but an oaken branch as a shield. Azog, the Defiler, learned that day that the line of Durin would not be so easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the orcs back. Our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast, no song, that night, for our dead were beyond the count of grief. We few had survived. And I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call King.".

At the end of the story, Thorin turns back to us. We all look at him as he walks towards the cave. "But the pale orc? What happened to him?" Bilbo ask Thorin. "He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Thorin answer in disgust. I didn't immediately fall asleep because I was wondering what all Thorin had go through. And now I found out how he got the name Oakenshield. I finally fall asleep leaning on Kili's side. Unknown to me, a pair of blue eyes followed me.

What do you thin about Fili's, Kili's and Y/N's friendship? The chapters will be about 1200-2500 words, normal. There may be longer chapters. I hope you enjoy this story~R