22. If You Were Church, I'd Get On My Knees

I woke up in the morning when the alarm on my phone went off, letting a small groan escape my lips. I sat up, grabbing my phone and shutting off the loud-ass alarm, then set my phone down on the nightstand.

I looked over at Patrick, who was still fast asleep, despite the loud alarm that was going off seconds ago.

I smiled a little, thinking about how blessed I was to have him, again.

I was just gazing at him, when a wave of nausea suddenly came over me again. I got out of bed quickly, running to the bathroom and leaning above the toilet, where I threw up who knows how many times.

Finally, after feeling a little better, I went back out and grabbed my dress from my suitcase, along with my shampoo and body wash. I started a shower, getting in and breathing in the steam.

I hoped I would feel better at the funeral, because I definitely didn't want to be puking all over the church.

I was halfway done with my shower when there was a soft knock at the door.

"Hey, it's me." I heard Patrick's gentle voice, then chuckled a little.

"Who else would it be?" I laughed.

"Oh, right.." he mumbled. "May I come in?"

"Sure."

I heard the door open then close, and I peeked my head our of the shower curtain to see Patrick messing with his hair in the mirror.

"Awwww, how cute." I Said, and he smiled, blushing little.

"So...are you at all prepared for today?" He asked.

I raised my eyebrows. "Not gonna lie, I'm nowhere close to being prepared.." I mumbled, pulling the shower curtain completely shut again. "I mean, I miss my family, don't get me wrong, but they can be so tiring. Makes me glad they moved to Minnesota."

"Yeah, I get it." He said. "Hopefully today will be over quickly, then maybe we can spend the rest of our time here around the city?"

"That would be nice." I Said, rinsing out my hair. "Where would we go?"

He was silent for a moment. "Believe it or not, I've been to this city tons of times, but I never actually checked anything out."

I laughed a little. "I guess I'll have to be your tour guide, then?"

He chuckled. "I guess so."

After I finished showering and getting dressed, Patrick ended up getting in the shower so he could get ready as well.

I sat on the bed as I waited for him, watching reruns of old Supernatural episodes from 2007.

I sighed a little, the show not even able to distract me from my stress anymore.

Maybe my family wouldn't do something stupid this time, but literally every other time we've had everyone together in one place, some crazy shit has happened, and talked about every family reunion.

Exactly why I stopped going to those.

With the way I was feeling sick, though, and my stress going through the roof, I just prayed that I wouldn't have to put up with their crap.

After Patrick got out of the bathroom, he came over to me straightening his tie.

"Does this look okay?" He Asked shyly.