Cups

Chapter 11:Cups

I was sitting in a classroom instead of being in my comfy bed with a cup of coffee.

I was sat in a desk in the back of the class thinking about the things I would be doing once I got home. You see you may be thinking, well don't you have a dorms? Yeah, we do, but Cara & I chose to just live in our flats. It was only a block away anyways. It's things like this that Cara & I have thought since we were 13. It was basically our dream to come here! I remember those nights when we both stayed out late, working our butts off. Things at the restaurant got really hard sometimes, but we managed. Honestly, things got so hard everywhere.

School was just ugh. Well, technically not much school, but the people. You see we went to a school where if you weren't pretty or a cheerleader, you wouldn't survive. Luckily we did. It was hard, especially for me. I didn't quite like separation from my best friend since grade school. Then again, she didn't either. It was hard. Really hard, but it was the strength of our friendship that never broke our hope. Hope is what has us here.

"GOOD MORNING CLASS!!"

I was shot out of my thoughts by Mrs. Samuels. She was a young woman probably in her late 20s. She was my art teacher, & she was great at it. Mrs. Samuels (or Megan, as she wants us to call her) was a very creative person. She always wore skinny jeans and bright red converse.

Today she was wearing a long short-sleeved "Mick Jagger" T-shirt, washed out skinny jeans, & some high top red converse. Her blonde hair cascaded onto her shoulders; her blue eyes shimmering in the sun rays that entered the room. She was the type of person you could sit down with & enjoy a cup of tea.

"How are all of you? I do suppose you had a MARVELOUS break? I know I did."

Her velvety voice fills the room, bouncing off the walls, & entering our hopeful ears. We all answered with a "yep" or a "no".

"Let me tell you about what I did!"

She yelled excitedly. As she began to speak about her break, I began to drift off into my own private little world frequently hearing her say things like "pot roast" & "my grandmother's pie!" But I was too deep in concentration to care.

Many things entered my mind: What can I draw? What will we play today in music? What will Cara & I do for our new video? All of these questions filled my brain, but they were soon pushed away by something- someone if I may say.

Finn. I thought about his eyes, his hair, his nose, his neck, his smile, his lips... Oh his lips. I look down at my neck & see the small little pendant shining in the sun ray. His, it read. I touch it lightly with the tips of my fingers. I start wondering if he ever thinks about me deeply like I do. If he ever touches his neck, finding something wrapped around it, knowing that it means something to him, knowing that he belongs to me, & I to him.

My thoughts broke; Megan had made us start drawing a portrait of someone or some ones we loved. I thought quickly about & it hit me. Of course I was going to draw Finn, but not just him, everyone I loved.

I rush over to where all the canvases are & I grab an appropriate sized one. I put it up on a stand & start to sketch.

I move my wrist softly as a draw the outline of Maz's jawline, deciding to draw him on the far corner. I begin to draw out heads for Andy, Sam, Alfie, Marcus, Jack, Finn, Casper, Cara, & I drawing eyes in each of the heads, making lips, eyebrows, eyelashes, everything on a human's body. I let my mind drift off, thinking about each one of these people that I loved so dearly. I thought about Alfie when I drew him. I thought about Jack when I drew him. This is what I loved about drawing. This is why I want this profession. Art just calms me. It makes me, me.