𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐛𝐲𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐬𝐬 | 𝐞&𝐫

Eddie waited until the sun had set.

The rhythmic buzzing of cicadas was the ongoing melody that helped keep the homeostasis of the otherwise dead silent woods. Not even the birds chirped their song - it was too late at night. Even they knew better than to stay in the woods overnight. Thick trees lined the forest up and down, creating some sort of a maze that only someone familiar with the environment of Derry could navigate. The moon in the sky provided a little bit of overhead light, but only near the entrance of the woods, making the lake water light up like old, flickering Christmas lights. A flashlight was required to pass through the rest, and even then, someone less wise would still get lost. The dirt was wet, almost muddy, and the grass smelt fresh - almost like the epitome of pure, raw, nature. The forest looked almost untouched, like a time capsule in an ever moving way. Almost nothing had changed since the two had last been here - except they didn't have to worry about Bowers.

Finally, as Eddie turned the corner, he saw Eddie, sitting on a mossy log. Shakily, Eddie clicked his flashlight on, causing Richie to nearly jump out of his skin as he turned around in reaction.

"You had me pissed off for a second, with that letter." Eddie said, walking over and then sitting on the log next to Richie. Richie continued to stare at the ground, but Eddie knew he was listening. He clearly didn't want to be found.

"And then I realized that all I had to do was come here." Eddie continued. He put his flashlight facing upward, so that he could see Richie's face, and a small area of their surroundings. "We never went this deep into the woods." Eddie kept talking, waiting for something, anything, from Richie.

"Except that one day." Richie finally replied.

Eddie swallowed - even thinking about it made his blood run cold. He changed the subject. "Why here?" He said. "Why did you decide to come here, of all places?" His tone, despite being interrogative, wasn't condescending or rude. It was mainly concerned, as anyone would be.

"Where else was I supposed to go?" Richie asked, and then he looked to Eddie, directing his focus completely on him. "We used to come here all the time. Just go swimming, run around, and talk...Just live, like it was nothing." Richie said, his eyes glancing around - he felt memories come back to him. Some fond, some not.

"We aren't kids anymore." Eddie said.

"I know." Richie replied, quickly.

After a few seconds of dead air, Eddie remembered his reason for following Richie here.

"Richie, why did you lie to me? I was scared - I was pissed." He said, feeling his face grow hot.

"Because I knew that you'd find me." Richie replied. "You're so fucking smart. And you don't even realize it, that's the crazy part." Richie smiled for a moment, then it faded. His facial expression was a give away - he was clearly worried, and thinking about something.

"You're trying to flatter me. I just want to know what's wrong, that's all. I'm not mad." Eddie put his hand on Richie's, but Richie pulled back a little.

Richie started to tear up, but swallowed, and tried to push the tears down. There was a knot in his throat - it was painful.

"I'm so sorry." Richie said, then cleared his throat. Eddie stared at him, more confused than he'd ever been.

"I said I'm not mad. I mean it, I'm really not. Let's just go back home and sort this out, okay?" Eddie said, trying his best to comfort Richie.

"Did you know Stan committed suicide?" Richie blurted out. Eddie's eyes widened - Richie regretted telling him, but he couldn't take it back.