Chapter 9

Camila Almada's POV

After how many minutes we have spent on our food and talking about ourselves, I was sipping on my wine when Nicolas signaled for a check. The waiter came and he took Nicolas's card. I felt guilty as I wanted to pay for my half.

"No, it's an honor to treat someone as beautiful as you," he said as he signed the check. He took his jacket and I took my handbag before we left the restaurant. It was a chilly night and I'm still wearing my sundress. It was not built with heat thermal technology.

"Here," Nicolas said as he put his jacket around my shoulder. I can still smell his scent on his jacket. It was minty and musk. It was masculine and so intoxicating.

"Shall we?" He said as he looked at me. We went to my side before he opened the door. I looked at him as he looked at me. I gazed at his lips before I stared into his brown orbs. I wanted to kiss him, badly.

"Camila?" He asked me and before I knew it, I was kissing him. My first kiss was with the man that I had just gone on a first date in my whole life. I was shocked that I did it but the tension of the night was wearing thin. I have to taste him.

Nicolas was no help as well. He was too stunned to realize what was happening. I was about to pull away before he snaked his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I snaked my hands around his neck. I never wanted to let go.

But we have to. We were out of breathing before Nicolas put his forehead onto mine. I was breathing heavily as it was the best and most magical kiss I ever had. Not that I can compare how a man and woman should kiss but I thought it would be something like this.

"Camila," Nicolas said before I stared into his orbs. It reminded me of chocolate in this dim light.

"Come back with me, spend the night at my hotel," he asked me as he pulled me closer. I wanted to say yes, oh, you know I do, but I can't. I have to be out of the country first thing in the morning and go to Portugal again.

"I don't think it will be a good idea," I replied to him, so timidly that I can barely hear myself.

"Just this once? Please," he said huskily as I was lost to him already.

"Okay," was the last thing I said before I was shoved inside the car and Nicolas was running toward the driver's seat before he started it and drove off from here.

I did not know where we were or what time was it. I was so shocked that I immediately accepted his invitation to spend the night with him. I think he might expect me to sleep with him.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure he has a lot of women between his sheets but I will not be one of his conquering quests that women threw themselves at his feet. I have to be better than that.

Nicolas was holding my hand when we were on our way to his hotel. He did not go cheap, this man. We were standing in front of Hotel Paradis Cluj, with its weird architecture of the building, I can see the type Nicolas would spend his night.

The valet helped us to get to our door. Nicolas got out first before the valet can offer his hand, Nicolas was appearing beside him. He offered his hand as I got out of the car. I did not miss the way that Nicolas glared at the valet boy. He cowered from him before I put my hand on his arm, Nicolas cooled down a bit.

We went inside the hotel as Nicolas strode in like he owned the place. And maybe he did, I don't know. I forgot to ask what he did for a living. We went to the elevator as he punched the button and it dinged. We got inside after the people that were coming out into the lobby left the elevator. It was just the two of us.

I was feeling fidgety as I did not know why was I agreeing to this. I cannot possibly do it with him. Nicolas was a nice specimen but I don't think I could go to the next base with him. Even kissing him was not on my agenda for tonight!

The elevator dinged before we strode out of it. Nicolas kept his hand on my lower back as people would stare at us. He was putting his claim on me like I was his. I did not hate the sound of that.

We were in front of the door where Nicolas slid his card and opened the door. We went inside before the lights came up and I saw the suite. It was nice and comfortable with a touch of expensiveness to it. Suitable for Nicolas.

He went to the bar as I was taking it all in. I did not know what I was doing until I saw a chessboard at the very far end of the living room as it was facing the streets.

"You want something to drink?" He asked me. I was shrugging off his jacket as I turned to look at him.

"What do you have?" I asked him. He stared at the cabinet and spoke about the alcohol that he has.

"Uh, we have scotch, rum, beer, vodka, whiskey, champagne—"

"I take a whiskey," I replied to him.

"Dry?" He asked me. I smiled at him.

"You know it," I said before I set his jacket on the sofa. He took out two glasses and poured himself some whiskey. I went to the chessboard and was staring at it. It looked like they were already being played.

"You play?" He asked as he handed me the drink. I thanked him as I took a sip. The liquor burned my throat but I liked it.

"Well, sometimes," I replied to him as I looked at the street light that was glistening in the night.

"Shall we?" He asked as he took a seat in front of the black pieces. I arched my eyebrow at him.

"I don't know you play," I said as I took the seat in front of the white pieces. He was rearranging the pieces into their starting position.

"Well, my dad loves to play this but my mum doesn't like it. So, he taught me how to play and bested him," he said as he looked at the pieces as it was a memory that was dearest to him.

"Is he still alive?" I asked him before he stopped his action. Seriously, sometimes I wished my mouth was not that blunt at him. I felt guilty now.

"It's okay if you don't want to answer that question—" I stammered before Nicolas chuckled as he resumed his action. I was worried that he might be mad at me for asking a very personal question.

"He is very much alive. He lives in Spain with my mother. I was born and raised in Spain but after I took over the company, I was traveling quite a lot," he said as he was looking at me. I smiled at him as the pieces were in place.

"Shall we play?" I asked him as I was ready to play before he stopped me.

"Want to make it more interesting?" He asked me. I looked at him as I knotted my eyebrows together.

"More interesting? This is chess, nothing about it is interesting as you put it," I said as I was laughing at him. He smirked before he said something that I was not expecting.

"Well, if I win, I will get you to sit on my lap and you have to kiss me," he said as he was smirking at me. I arched my eyebrow at him and I smirked as well.

"And if I win, what did I get out of you?" I asked him before something formed inside my head. Nicolas was about to say before I held my hand.

"I have the perfect idea on how to spend my winning on you," I said as I looked at him. He was still smirking at me.

"And that will be?" He asked me. I laughed before I moved my first move.

"You have to lose to know it then," I said as he moved his soldier two steps ahead. I moved mine. He moved his. We were in a battle that he was determined not to lose against me. I smirked as I know he would be at a disadvantage when he knew that I was a Master in this game.

"Well, it looks like you will win, mi Estrella," he said huskily as I was smirking at him. He was looking at me intensely as I moved my rook to the space where I made my check.

"Check," I said as I was crossing my arms together on my chest. Nicolas looked at me as he was smirking at me.

"What's so funny, Nicolas? You know I will win, right?" I said smugly before he chuckled lowly.

"Ah, mi Estrella, you should know by now," he said as he moved his queen to attack my rook and I gasped at the action, "I never lose," he said before he pulled me onto his lap.

"Checkmate, sweetheart," he said as he kissed me roughly and passionately.