1

Victoria's p.o.v
As usual, in every African girl's life, there is always an evil spirit that will not want you to sleep. It comes in different forms; your phone, the annoying chickens that sha want to make noise but the worst one is your mother.

I had told my mum yesterday to wake me up early this morning because my phone was being repaired and my mum decided it would be a good idea to barge into my room at 7am with a pot and omorogun aka turning stick and start yelling my name.

"Daraaaa!!!" She yelled and I flew out of bed instantly.

"Good morning dear, hope you slept well?"she smiled at me.

"Mummy, is that how to wake someone?" I asked, panting. I was currently trying to control my heart. It was hammering against my chest. Hard. I'm shocked I haven't had cardiac arrest already.

"Ejo lo fe ro" (it's talk you want to do) my mum said and skipped out of the room like she did nothing. I never understood this woman.

I shook my head and went to the bathroom. I stared at myself in the mirror. My name is Victoria Adeleke but my mum sticks to calling me Darasimi which is my Yoruba name. I'm 15 years old and I'm in ss2. I attend Royalty College, I'm what they will call 'Brown Skin Girl', I have almost black eyes, wo I'm lazy to keep describing. That's all about me. Deal with it.

I brushed my teeth, did my facial routine, wore a tank top and comfortable shorts, then I headed downstairs. Now you all must be wondering why I'm awake so early in the morning, well... Aunt Kimopra did not want me to work because according to her, 'it's not your job but my job as I am the head of staff in the house'... or something like that.

I still did it either way.

I took the local broom, marched to living room and began to sweep. My mum said when I get married, I would have to be able to do basic things that a woman can do. So yh, I'm doing the basic things that a woman can do.

About 10 minutes later, I was done with the living room so I moved to the kitchen. It was almost 8, which meant that Aunt Kimopra would soon wake up and scold me but, meh. I don't care. As soon as I was done, I heard the voice I was expecting.

"Victoria! This child will not kill me." Aunt Kimopra lamented from the living room. I giggled silently, knowing she wouldn't let me hear the last of it.

"Wo, o ti gba gbogbo ile"(look, she has washed all the floors). Aunty Kimopra chided like what I did was an abomination or something.

I left the kitchen to see her putting her hands on her hips as she glared at me, Aunt Iyanu standing beside her looking at me with a knowing look.

"Aunt kimopra, Aunt Iyanu, good morning" I said and gave a charming smile. Aunt Iyanu just shook her head as her smile grew bigger.

"Ki lo da la ro yii? So fun mi" (what is good about the morning? Tell me) she asked as she eyed me.

"How many times have I told you that this is your father's house and your father hired us to make things around here easier, not for you to do everything while I just collect salary" she asked.

I was used to this, my father is extremely rich, so according to the Nigerian rich people mentality, I'm not meant to be doing any house work as it is the job for the maids and servants. Like give me a break. I'm not handicapped neither am I disabled so I can effectively do things myself.

I bit my lip and looked down.

"I'm sorry. You were complaining about how you were having body pains and I just wanted to help. You don't have to do everything" I said and looked up at her sadly. This act always got to her.