𝑬𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

December 10, 1972

Garlands dotted with red berries framed the windows as magic snow rained from the ceiling. Christmas time at Hogwarts was Eleonora's favorite time of the year. She admired the grand Christmas tree standing at the head of the Great Hall. Smaller trees sat below the stained glass windows, and each one was decorated in golden ornaments.

As the rumors of Narcissa dating a muggleborn died down, the tension between the two slowly did the same.

Eleonora sat at the Hufflepuff table, a potions book in her hand as she mindlessly shoveled oatmeal into her mouth. In front of her, Finch's head was laid down on the table, his eyes shut as his mouth hung open, drooling.

The screeches of owls were heard overhead as that morning's post arrived. Parcels, big and small, were dropped in front of students. A small stack of letters tied with twine was dropped before Eleonora, a small box, and another separate letter dropped after.

"Holy shit," she mumbled, "I haven't had this much mail in ages!"

"Will you shut up?" Finch spat.

"What's got you so tired? Snogging someone are we?" Eleonora smiled to herself, unwrapping the twine from the letters.

Finch sat up, his eyebrows lifting telling Eleonora everything she needed to know.

"Really?" she gaped. "Who is it?"

"Christ, Eleonora," Finch groaned, "will you quiet down?"

"Was it Malcolm?" Eleonora grinned, resting her chin in her palm. When she received no answer, she became giddy. "Oh my god! It was! Wasn't it?"

"Shush, shush, shush!" Finch leaned forward trying to cover her mouth. After sitting back down in his seat, he huffed. "I did what you told me to do."

"Well at least we know who's the sub," Eleonora snickered.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Anyway," Finch sighed. "I did what you said to do. I asked Malcolm to the ball. He said yes, and then we snuck out to Hogsmeade together because he wanted to get to know me."

"Well he certainly got to know more than he intended!" Eleonora snorted, laughing about the dark bruises Finch attempted to cover up on his neck.

"Shut it," Finch hissed.

Eleonora snickered as she opened each letter from various relatives. Each contained a few pounds each that she'd have to get converted in Hogsmeade if she actually wanted to use them.

However, among the notes from her parents and the box of Christmas gifts and candies, the lone letter stuck out like a sore thumb. Eleonora's eyes darted across the Hall where Narcissa sat, giggling away at something her friend showed her. Her fingers tore open the letter that had her name written delicately on the front. Inside was a letter with very familiar handwriting:

Nora,

It's about time you learn how to dance so you don't embarrass both of us at the Yule Ball. Meet me in the astronomy tower at 10 o'clock and I'll teach you a few basic steps.

Without love (because it's against the rules),

N. B.

Eleonora's eyes shot up from the letter, a cheeky grin on Narcissa's face as they made eye contact. Narcissa cocked a brow, knowing for certain why Eleonora was looking her way.