𝑵𝒊𝒏𝒆

"Ow!"

"I'm sorry!"

"You said you were sorry three sorries ago!" Narcissa hissed, her hand gripping tightly onto Eleonora's.

As instrumentals played from a record in the far corner of the tower, Narcissa and Eleonora were pushed uncomfortably close. Their hands clasped together, they averted their eyes, the stones in the wall much more interesting to them.

Narcissa's free hand gripped Eleonora's waist, her nails digging into her side.

"I wish you would cut your nails," Eleonora murmured.

"I wish you would mind your own business," Narcissa retorted.

"Well it's kind of hard to do that when your nails are tearing gashes into my flesh!"

"Oh, darling, my nails can do much more than that." Narcissa's lips quirked, a grin splaying on her features as Eleonora tensed.

Orbs of magicked light floated above them, illuminating the night air. Eleonora's dark eyes met Narcissa's. "Har-har," she groaned, heat flushing her cheeks. "Very funny."

"Alright, can we get back on track, please?" Narcissa sighed.

"Yeah. Right," Eleonora answered. "Where were we?"

"Erm-" Narcissa hesitated, thinking. "You know what? Let's just start over."

The record changed tracks and the pair split apart. Lining themselves up on the pieces of bright yellow tape that marked the floor, they positioned their arms once again. Narcissa's hand went to Eleonora's waist, Eleonora's hand coming to just below her shoulder, and their free hands laced together.

One, two, three...one, two, three...one, two, three-

Still keeping their eyes averted from each other, they stepped in time to the music. Narcissa glanced at Eleonora, who was clearly deep in thought at the moment.

"I hope you know I don't think you're a terrible person," Eleonora spoke up quietly, breaking the awkward silence but still keeping her eyes far from Narcissa's.

"Erm-thank-"

"But I don't think you're a good person either." Eleonora took a deep breath. "I think you're severely misguided, however. I don't blame you for it though. You've been fed these beliefs since you were a child. You had no power to stop your parents from telling you how bad my kind are. And it doesn't help that everyone you know has been raised the same."

"Yeah, I guess you-"

"How do you actually feel, Narcissa?" Eleonora turned her head, now making direct eye contact with Narcissa. "Have you even thought of your own opinion on the matter?"

Narcissa looked away, the view of the horizon from the balcony much more interesting. "Well...it wasn't until my sister-you know...that I realized how severe the consequences would be if I showed any interest in muggles and muggle-borns. Of course, I had been...curious about their lifestyle. How are they able to not use magic? It was bonkers to me." Eleonora cracked a small smile as they moved closer. Narcissa took a deep breath, continuing. "I checked out books from the library-not telling anyone, of course. I charmed them to look like ordinary textbooks. And I found these subjects so interesting. How someone was smart enough to do everything without magic baffled me."

"It's not that baffling," Eleonora mused. "I did it for eleven years."

Narcissa smiled, chuckling at Eleonora's sentiment. "Well, you know-"

"I know what you mean," Eleonora broke in. "It was the same way for me. I had grown up doing everything without magic. I had shown signs of magic. But like anyone else, I thought I was going crazy. I didn't wanna burden my parents so I just stayed quiet. Then, McGonagall showed up to my house, and that was that. My parents almost didn't let me go. I had to beg on my hands and knees. But they relented." A glint of mischief appeared in her eyes as she glanced at Narcissa. "I find I can be very persuasive sometimes."

They continued in silence for some time before Eleonora spoke up again. "You know, I could teach you how to do some things the muggle way." Eleonora's cheeks flushed when Narcissa shot her a skeptical glance. "I mean-if-of course, you don't-"

"I think I'd like that," Narcissa spoke softly. "It's only fair, you know. I'm teaching you how to do traditional wizarding dances-you can teach me traditional muggle-well, whatever they do."

Eleonora giggled. "I suppose it is only fair."