IV

Unedited

"Boudi, come fast. I am getting late."

It was always used to used to be Bondita who would call Batuk like this but since few days this duty is taken over by dearest lazy Botuk.

"Sun is rising in the west nowadays"
Bondita have noticed Batuk's changed behaviour. Its almost been a month since they have went to school together. They together starts from their haveli but after some distance Batuk would go by different route giving some silly excuses. Even while returning from school he take different route.

"It's not even half past 8. Why are you getting impatient" Their was a  slight sense of interrogation in her voice. She proudly doubted him as she is elder than him in relation and she have the right to question him.
She is his baudi.
His elder brothers wife.
Age doesnt matter.

Bondita came out of their personal parking with her new ladies bicycle.
Which was gifted by her sasurji as she had topped in her class last year. As usual.

She taught that the gift was for her achievement but it was not.!!!
He had gifted her that cycle because her marit had helped him a lot in his business.
His trade had became more famous and flourished because of her exclusive results among other British students.

"Umm uh er just...want to meet my friends" She heard his nervous excuse and furrowed her eyebrows.
Looking at her expression he quickly put up a confident look asked her instead."Did you forget that today is last day of school ?!!"
Yes it was.
The last day of their school.
Their exams were already happened,school was  opened just because of some assignments but from today their school life would finish and a long vacation before reaching colledge.
She have so many plans for her vacation and for her college life.

"Lets go, baudi"
They started for their school with a active spirit. And again, Batuk changed his route giving a silly excuse of picking up a friend.
She wanted to spy on him but than thaught to do it at their return.

_____________________________________________________________

The insides of the elegant Roy Chowdhury mension is in silence.
Not for sadness rather this silence is reflecting the peace inside.
As two of the most mischievous members of the family is not present there.
They were in their school.

In the beautifully designed leather sofa sat the Zaminder Trilochan Roy Chowdhury carring all his pride in his puffed up chest.
A cup of jaggery tea in front of him. Untouched.
He just drink tea given by his bahu.
No one else then her.
His hands holding a Bengali newspaper.

"Kaka" His eyes travelled from the letters in the newspaper to his Grown up but childish nephew.
He invited him to sit beside as Anirudh sat down on the sofa kept next to his kaka.

" Kaka, is everything going well. Your zamindari , health etc"
What happen to his son like nephew today.?
Why is he acting weird?!!!
Did he think that his kaka is getting old so he asked about his health.
No he is not old.!

"Ummm"

His kaka's demeanor scared him even more. Anirudh didn't have the courage to say him directly about his decision. So he checked his mood first.
But no.
He have to put his hands in the lion's mouth as he had already entered into his den.

"Kaka, i think Bondita should continue her further studies. She have a dream to be a barrister."

"I am not against it."
Yes he had already given her the permission for further studies, when she was just 13. He still remember that day.
How skillfully she had convinced him!!

Today he have to do the same.
Convincing his rigid kaka.
He, knew his kaka is like a coconut,tough outside and soft inside.
He will surely understand him.

"Kaka for further studies, i think she should go to London. Just like me"

He knew his nephew is unpredictable but this decision.
How could he,ler go of the only bahu he have
Who is making their haveli home.

"Are you mad Anirudh."

"I am not kaka  but there is no any law college in Tulsipur."

Realisation dawned upon him. The promise he made to his bahu about her further studies.
He not even once thought about colledge. Neither Bondita had thought.
If he say no and get back from his promise than it would affect his self esteem.
How can a zamindar could do this?!!
How could he get back from his promise.?!
So he accepted. Accepted his bahu's departure.
Just for some years!!
There is no problem as Anirudh would be with her.
Rather there are advantages.
Them being together alone would eradicate the distance between them.
Maybe his dreams come true.
The dream of his grandchildren.
His expectations.!!!

"Ok,. She ...can....you can go"

Anirudh could not believe his ears.
His kaka agreed.
He gave approval...
But wait...
What he said,?! He said "you".
What did he want to mean.
Did he thought that he will go with her.
He didn't have any plan of going with her.
He was about to made the misunderstanding clear but was interrupted by his inner barrister self.
What if he refuse after knowing the truth.
What if Bondita wouldn't be able to continue her futher studies.
He can't let it happen.!
He can't.,.

It would be better if he accompany her.
He would be able to help her in her studies.
Yes,he should accept it.
Accept the fact of going with her.
He have already done much of reforms.
The rest would be done at their return.
He would return with a bang.
With his bondita.
Barrister babu Bondita Roy Chowdhury.,

"Thank you." He murmured a small thank you and hugged his kaka.

_____________________________________________________________

The roads simmered in the heat of the midway sun. The afternoon sun bathed the trees and grasses in its warm light. Tiny specks of dust seemed to dance in the saft of afternoon sunlight that slanted through the lacuna of the leaves.

Two tired students rode across the road under the trees. In the mixture of light and shadow.

Bondita noticed that Batuk was taking another route again.
The road which leads to the pond.

She waited for some time and then stealthily spyed on him.
She went behind him slowly.
After sometime she noticed that he stopped in the bank of the pond and sat their after keeping his bicycle aside.
A girl swaddled in white dress came running towards him with a  paper in her hand.
Bondita tried to look at her face but was not able to.
Who she is?!
Was she the reason Batuk came here everyday.

Hi guys,
Who do you think the girl is?
Why is she wearing white dress?
What is her relation with Batuk?

Paint the star orange 🧡 if you liked the chapter and don't forget to comment.
(Criticism is surely welcomed 🌺)