*Thirty-Three**

Annah's POV

Daniel's recovery has been tedious and agonizingly slow since his accident at the Ministry, but he's finally beginning to heal relatively well given the severity of his injuries. It was touch and go from the beginning, especially with the first seventy two hours remaining amongst the unknown.

Suffering from a massive brain bleed and major swelling sent him into a coma for three days, and with a broken femur and other wounds, the doctors weren't sure he was going to survive. Even the use of magic to help speed along the healing process can only go so far when it comes to life threatening injuries like Danny's. But by some grace of god, Daniel made it. By the skin of his teeth, my brother had managed to escape the attack.

Upon a month long investigation conducted by the Ministry, it was finally determined that the attack was the work of Death Eaters. The attack was deemed as a warning, a sign that Voldemort has been gaining more strength with each passing day, and gaining strength more quickly than anyone could have imagined.

After hearing the news my heart nearly shattered into a million pieces, and for a while I was placing the blame of the attack on myself. There's this feeling in the pit of my entirety, a mixture of guilt and like the bile is eating straight through the lining of my stomach. I can't shake the possibility that this was Lucius Malfoy's way of getting back at my brother for my connection to Draco, for my friends being behind why he was sent to Azkaban.

The multiple incidents and terrorizings of the Death Eaters all began the moment Lucius Malfoy was locked up. Multiple attacks, more mysterious disappearances, strange happenings. Voldemort is undoubtedly angry, and his wrath has caused shifts in both the muggle world and our world to become more violent. The war is coming.

-

"Another one?" Danny furrows a brow as he contemplates his next move in our game of wizard chess. Tony our family owl had just barely swooped in through the open window, dropped the crinkled envelope at my feet, and banked a tight turn before taking clumsily off out the window again.

I don't bother looking at who the letter has come from because it can only be from one person. I let out a small sigh as my finger slides under the middle of the flap to pry it away from the rest of the envelope. My eyes quickly scan over Draco's pleading words, and my stomach begins twinging with guilt over how desperate Malfoy is beginning to sound with wanting to hear back from me.

I know I should write him back, to at least let him know I'm still alive at least, but I'm just not ready to talk to him. Not yet anyway. I just need some time to be able to work on myself and heal.

Draco leaving me has damaged me in ways I didn't even know were possible and I've been trying to understand the outcome of events and make sense of it all. And besides my brother needs me, now more than ever.

"Don't you think it's time to write him back?" Daniel asks softly, pulling my attention from my thoughts and back to reality.

I'm not even sure how long I had disappeared in my head for, staring absentmindedly at Draco's handsome and familiar penmanship. Danny furrows a brow at me, and without looking to him I know he's trying to read my expressionless face.

"I thought you wanted me to stay away from him?" My eyes flicker from the page in my fingers to his worried ones. I raise a brow in question when he remains silent.