9

Oliver can say with clarity that he's not at his best when in two days time he finds himself lingering in front of the Starbucks agreed to.  The pungent smell of coffee wafts over to him every time the doors open and fuck he really wants the caffeine, but each time he has to battle the urge to gag.  He knows why he's so nauseated, but there's nothing he can do.  With his omega being so off lately and the stress of his living situation literally crushing him, Oliver has lost his appetite completely.  It's been two days and he hasn't managed to eat anything.  He's not hungry, at least that's what he tells himself.

The blaring horn of a car startles him and his eyes widen in surprise when he sees Maddie pull up to the curb and park haphazardly.  She steps out of the driver's side and twirls the keys around her index finger.

"Nice ride," he comments, "thought your license was suspended."

"It is," she says, "which is why I'm not driving my car."

"Oh?"

He hopes and prays that it isn't a stolen vehicle.  There's only so many crimes he's willing to do before he just does the job (a kind way to say kills) himself before Oro can.

She must read his expression like an open book because she rolls her eyes and admits, "it's my ex's car, told him some b.s. lie and well... here we are.  But as you've kindly reminded me, since my license is suspended, you need to drive across the border."

Oliver looks surprised, him?

Well... he did volunteer and she's providing their escape vehicle so it's the least he can do.

"Hope you brought your license, bus boy."

He snorts in amusement, but takes the keys that are tossed his way.

As they switch sides, he discreetly rubs his hands where the metal hit a little too hard.

Once inside the car, Oliver adjust the seat and mirrors.  The sound of the belt clicking in place and the engine roaring to life spurs him on.

"You got this kid," Maddie cheers.

"It's Oliver," he reminds, "and I'm not a kid."

She flushes pink, "right, Oliver."

They pull out of the parking spot and Maddie puts in the aux, the sound of some dad rock blares through the speaker.  He immediately recognizes the words of Highway to Hell by ACDC at full blast.

Classic.

He hums along drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, but her nudging and pestering finally makes him sing along with her.

It feels nice.

It's almost like they've known each other since forever and like they're not about to do some shady shit across the border.  And why Canada of all places?

As the traffic approaches to a slow stop, a giant sign welcoming them to Canada blurs by, Oliver presses on the break easily.

They're stopped at the entrance by a CBD officer and are asked for passports.

"State your business."

He shares a look with Maddie.  What do they say? He hadn't thought that far ahead.

But Massie answers for them both easily, "Shopping."

The woman looks at them briefly before handing back their documents and waving them through with an approving nod.

The knot in Oliver's chest dissolves as the border patrol disappears in the rearview mirror.

Maddie seems to be keeping an eye from the side mirror hanging from the passenger door.  She leans against the palm of her hand as her elbow rests on the armrest.