22

Oliver makes the conscious decision to seek out the alpha next.  He calls him a few days later, expecting to receive radio silence.  Surprised to find the alpha at his door the next hour.  In the depths of his being, he had hoped the man would not answer, would ignore him, or disappear again.

Oliver opens and closes the door to his alpha for the last time.

He finds the man looking at him expectantly, but all he can focus on is the cut on the man's brow.  Without restraint, he reaches forward and lets his fingers trace around the inflamed skin.  He wants to kiss it, to make the hurt go away.  Oliver does it because he can.  He feels the man's hands rest against his waist, holding him just so as he steps up on his tippy toes.  His lips brush against the healing gash before he pulls back and kisses the man on the lips.  The alpha lets him.

He tugs on the alpha's hand and they head outside.  He drags them past the car waiting for them.  They won't need to drive where they're going.  He can feel the alpha's apprehension, but not once does he let go of his hand.

His hand is heavy and overall warm, fingertips a little cold, but they make a nice contrast against his own.  All the way to their destination Oliver is trying to decide if this is the right thing to do.  His gaze occasionally flickers to the gun tucked away in the alpha's holster, thinks about how that gun was pointed at him countless times.  He wonders how many times the alpha actually wanted to pull the trigger, how many times he's come close to killing him.

This is the best he could do.

He'll be safe.

They will be safe, him and his baby.

Right?

Oliver walks towards a building in the slightly nicer part of town, in the direction he knows leads to the alpha's house.  It's a newer building, one that has condos already listed for sale as construction finishes.  He can see the alpha look at the building appreciatively as their steps echo in the silence.  

He had mentioned the want to move to the alpha once. He knows that alpha wouldn't object, especially if he were involved in the process.  For a moment Oliver pretends... he pretends that this is what an alpha and omega pair do.  They look for a new home as their little family expands and he fights the urge to touch his belly.

The alpha comments on how it's a decent place, a good location even.  To Oliver, it's all just white noise.

They stop at the end of the hall and Oliver pauses in front of one of the doors, his hand on the doorknob.  If he opens this door there is no going back.

 The alpha gets exasperated when the omega hesitates and he decides to open the door for both of them.  Oliver's belly twists with guilt and immediate regret.  This was a mistake.

He follows Oro inside, intent on pulling him back, on dragging him away.

But it's too late.

There's a little unsteady red dot painted on Oro's chest.

The alpha is looking down at it before he's turning to the man lying in wait.

Oliver closes his eyes as tears threaten to fill and spill from his eyes when realization dawns on his alpha.

The man curses, turning to the omega in accusation.

His eyes flutter open and he looks at the man pleadingly.  Oliver is destroyed.  When he meets the alpha's eyes there is an accusation and reflected in them?  His betrayal.

"Oro," he breathes quietly, pleadingly.

"Oro, or can I call you by your name, Carlos Abaya?" Agent Ford asks smugly across the room.