33

Oliver stares at the pup in his arms completely awestruck.  His heart is too full of love to express what he feels at the moment.  He's so enraptured that he doesn't hear the door close behind Annie when she leaves to give them privacy.

His baby girl has no trouble latching on as soon as the omega completely undresses. Her little lips wrap around Oliver's nipple and suckles with her eyes still swollen closed.  She's all wrinkly and warm and theirs.

Thats when the moment is shattered.  When he remembers who he's sharing it with.  He tenses and tries to shy away but the alpha simply rumbles a soft croon from his chest and releases calming pheromones.  Oliver sinks against the alpha with a sigh.  He resigned himself to his fate, there's no point backing out now.

He exposes his throat to the alpha and closes his eyes.

"Can you do it quick and painless? I-I know I don't have a right to negotiate how you're going to kill me, but I-"

"Please shut up."

Oliver closes his mouth and inhales sharply. He doesn't point out that the alpha has been saying that to him since forever.  If he really wants him to shut up then maybe he should- he stops his train of thought.  Brain short-circuiting when the alpha caresses his neck rather than tearing it.  The man rests his hand over the pup next, he cups her little rump in extra support.

"Oro?"

The alpha rests his chin on the omega's shoulder and stares at the tiny pup suckling contently, safely in their omega parent's arms.

"I'm not..." and his voice cracks because similar to Oliver, he's fallen so deeply in love with their pup... with him.

"Alpha?" Oliver sniffles.

"I'm not going to kill the father of my pups."

The omega feels flabbergasted, his heart swelling at the admission and he can't stop the tears that make his eyes all red and spill down his ruddy cheeks.  He's at a loss for words, a sob slipping past chapped lips in utter relief. The alpha coos at him, hand reaching up to wipe away those useless tears.  There's no reason to cry anymore.

"You've protected my pups, both of them despite only carrying one.  You saved Manny and you've given me a daughter.  I can't... even if I wanted to, I can't.  I tried putting distance between us, I tried everything and still I ended right beside you. I've lived and died for you."

"I'm sorry," Oliver whispers, so painfully sincere it hurts the alpha, "I didn't want to hurt you like I did, but I was scared.  I'm still scared, for me and my pups."

"I know."

"And that man tricked me.  He made me leave you, said he would've killed you anyway and I've never wanted bloodshed more.  In that moment I wanted that man to hurt, to suffer and die."

"Oliver-"

"I'm really sorry, alpha."

Oro turns the omega's face and he kisses him soundly.  The angle is awkward and not right, but the sentiment is there.

"I haven't forgiven you just yet," the alpha admits when he pulls away, "But I can't lose you.  Just remember next time you think you can get away from me, I'll just make sure you never walk again."

"Okay," Oliver agrees, "sounds fair."

Oro snorts but kisses the omega again.

Once that's settled, Oro helps the Omega deliver the afterbirth and twenty minutes after he cuts the cord.  The plug is removed from the drain and Oliver is gently carried by the alpha away from the bathroom and into their bedroom.  They're both just as pruny as their daughter from being in the water for so long and Oliver shivers from the cold.

Oro helps his omega change into clean dry clothes before finding clothes for their pup.  Oliver burps her in the meantime and reluctantly hands her to her alpha dad.  Oro holds her nervously.  The last time he held a pup this small was four years ago and she's so tiny and fragile.

"It's okay alpha, you've got her."

Oro's gaze flickers to Oliver's, the omega patiently waiting on bed lounging on a mountain of pillows.

"She's so small."

"She's safe," Oliver assures, "perfect."

"Damn right she's perfect."

Oro somehow manages to change the wriggling pup before she starts wailing.  The alpha coos at her and soothes her until her cries quiet down into soft sniffles.  She puts a small hand against her lips and Oliver stares enamored.

"You just ate, silly girl," he smiles, pulling her hand away.

For being so small, for being just born, she is stronger than she looks as she waves her little hand out of her dad's hold and sticks it back in her mouth.  Oliver lays on his side and stares at the alpha watching over their pup in amusement and endearment.

"Will you tell me?" He asks at last.

Oro briefly looks at the omega.

"About what happened with the agent?  About... you."

Oro sighs, "I will.  But not tonight.  You just gave birth and you're exhausted.  I'll tell you though, everything, I promise."

Oliver nods contently and settles down.  He doesn't tear his eyes away from the pup or the man he loves.

"Go to sleep, Oliver, I'll watch over her."

The omega smiles, burying his face in the blankets, "okay."

With a deep breath he closes his eyes and then... "I love you, Oro."

Oro pauses.  He stares at the omega in surprise before reaching out and combing his fingers through curly hair.

"How?" He wonders, "how can you love a monster like me?"

He doesn't get an answer aside from a soft breath of a snore.  Oro didn't expect one, still his heart aches.  He kisses the omega's forehead and then their newborn's little nose.

He lived and died for this omega and he knows he'll do it again.

Resigned and aware no one will hear him, will know, he admits to himself, to the omega and their pup, "I love you too, Oliver.  More than you'll ever know."