21

Oliver has a bag packed and shoved deep into his closet, just in case.  He needs to be smart about this, needs to make sure he doesn't leave anything behind and yet leave everything that could be traced back to him.  He can't make the same mistake twice, Oro will not take kindly if he finds him this time around.

A knock startles him and Oliver drops the little onesie he had finally convinced himself to buy.  The sage green cloth falls crumpled on his nest as he stands to answer the door.

He can't help how his heart leaps in his chest in excitement when he finds Oro standing on the other side.  He looks... rugged.  His 5 o'clock shadow has turned into a prickly stubble.  His shoulders are tensed and Oliver swears he almost didn't recognize the man with the hood of his jacket up.

"Alpha," he breathes in awe.

Oro doesn't move and Oliver frowns.  It almost looks like he's grimacing in pain, "are you okay?"

"You busy?" The man finally asks, brushing off his omega's concern.

"N-No."

Oro motions with his head, "Let's go."

"I- yeah, okay, I just need-"

"Now."

"Okay, okay!"

Oliver locks up his apartment and follows his alpha outside.  He is surprised when the man heads for the driver's seat of a green Honda civic, not at all like the fancy new cars he's seen he knows the man owns.  

Oliver ducks into the passenger's seat and tugs on the seatbelt without a word.  He wonders if he knows about the FBI.

The drive isn't as winding and complicated, but that's how he knows they're not going to the main house. He feels eyes on him and Oliver's gaze flickers to meet the man's in curiosity.

"You look good," the alpha comments with a confused scrunch of his face.

And he does. His face is fuller with a constant flush on his cheeks, a healthy glow.

"Thank you?"

Oliver is already used to the man's little grunts of appreciation and acknowledgment.  Enough to know that the sound the alpha makes resonates with, "no problem."

Soon enough they arrive at a local park that Oliver used to visit rather frequently when he first moved to the little town.

There's no explanation as to why they are there, but Oliver stumbles after the man when he gets out and slams the door shut.

Oliver tries to keep pace with his alpha as they approach an oak tree which he's sure provides the coolest shade in the summer with how big and wide its bare branches are.

The sound of small running feet catches Oliver off guard as a little boy runs toward them.  He wants to stop him in fear as he runs directly to Oro.  He's not sure what the alpha will do to a little boy, but if what that agent said is true-

His fears dissolve when the little boy wraps his small arms around Oro's legs and cries out, "Daddy!"

Oliver's breath hitches and he watches in awe as his alpha picks up the small pup and carries him on his hip easily.

This isn't the first time, he realizes.

"Oro?"

"The pack seems to trust you to an extent, I'm still trying to figure out why. But you've wiggled your entire life into mine and my pack of misfits.  You literally opened your doors to my pack without being offered a choice and you've rolled with it.  You've done what I've asked and you've proven yourself.  So, for once, I'll show you my weakness."

Oliver is stunned, his eyes sting with tears that he tries to wipe away when wide eyes peer his way.

"Oliver, this is Manuel," Oro introduces, "my pup."

The little boy buries his face in the alpha's neck timidly, but still waves at Oliver.

"H-Hi," his voice cracks a little, "I'm Oliver."

Oro adjusts the weight of the pup and he finally comes out of his hiding place, "hi, Ol-ver."

"Hey baby," he coos, his omega immediately claiming the little pup as his even though he's aware he shouldn't. His arms ache to hold him, but he doesn't reach for him.  Doesn't think he can or has the right to.

He doesn't get much of a choice when the small pup lets go of his alpha sire and reaches out for the omega.  Oliver immediately takes the pup into his arms, bringing him close to his chest.  The pup doesn't know what he's doing, but Oliver feels a rush of emotion when he starts scenting him subconsciously.

"You smell like daddy," the little boy giggles.

Oliver flushes at that, but his smile doesn't falter.

"How old are you?"

"I'm this many," the little boy says, holding up three fingers.

"He just turned four," Oro corrects.

"You're so big now," Oliver smiles.

"The biggest, right daddy?"

The alpha smiles at his son fondly, "Why don't you go and play?"

The little boy wiggles until Oliver places him down on the ground.  He takes off again, little feet running toward the slides.

"So you have a son?"

"Yes."

"Why... So, why haven't you-"

"Left the life of crime?"

Oliver nods, but he's entranced by the pup climbing the ladder and sliding down the spiral with a squeal.

The alpha steps close, his hand reaching out and thumb brushing away a stray tear, forcing the omega to look at him, "Because this is who I am.  I am a killer, a monster.  There is no going back once there's bloodshed."

"What about his other... parent?

"His birth giver?"

"Yeah..."

"Bitch is still around."

Oliver grimaces.  Always so crass.

He stares at the man and bites him lip.

"Spit it out, omega."

"Would you consider leaving this life behind now?"

"What you're really asking is if I will stop for you, right?"

"No," Oliver shakes his head, "Not... Not just for me, for your pups too."

"If I didn't leave for him or his mother before, what makes you think you'd change anything?  That you would be any different?"

Oliver feels bold, "Why not?"

"Listen here, omega," and he's gripping the omega's jaw painfully tight, "you've gotten this illusion that you're important, that you have a say in what I do.  I'll let you know now that the day I die, will be the day I start listening to an omega. You are nothing in the grand scheme and I won't simply stop because you want me to. It doesn't work like that."

"Then what... what would I have to do to be free again?"

The alpha looks at him in surprise which quickly morphs into a simmering rage, "The only way you'll ever get away from this life, away from me, is through a casket, understand?"

Oliver stares into the alpha's eyes.  He thinks he understands.

"You want to know something else?"

The omega doesn't respond.

"If you hadn't turned back, if you had just left, I would've let you go.  But it's too late for that now.  You're mine, Oliver."

The kiss they share is bittersweet.