25

Oliver wakes up disoriented on his first night in the main house.  He looks around the bed, frowning when he doesn't immediately recognize where he is.  The smell of alpha fills his nose and all Oliver wants is to bury himself deep again.  He doesn't want to face the world, doesn't think he can.

So, he lays sprawled out on the bed until the pressure against his bladder becomes too much and he's forced to leave the warmth and comfort.

He goes through the motions.  He washes his hands and brushes his teeth before padding back to the room.  He finds Colt at the entrance, not daring to step further inside the omega's den.

"Good morning," he greets sheepishly.

Colt looks at him, assesses him with a critical eye making Oliver feel naked and exposed.

"You're pregnant," the beta states.

The omega nods, there's no point in denying it, "yeah."

Colt sighs before simply walking out.  Oliver isn't sure how to feel about that interaction, so instead he slips back into the blankets and burrows inside.

An hour later and someone knocks on the door.

Oliver doesn't move, doesn't respond.

He doesn't feel like doing anything other than exist.

A young beta he's seen around cracks open the door to peer inside.  Once he spots the blanket burrito he steps in with a tray of food.

The smell doesn't make the omega nauseous, but he wants it gone.  He doesn't want to eat, he doesn't want anything.

The beta reluctantly leaves when he's shood, but still leaves a small mandarin behind.

Oliver doesn't touch it.

The days seem to blur by in a haze.  Sometimes he eats, mostly not.  He can't force himself to enjoy his food when it tastes like ash and as a result, his appetite is shot.  Sometimes, though, he manages to leave the den and seek out the comfort of the pack.  They're not touchy-feely, but the rambunctious noise fills the empty void in his chest temporarily.

On a particular Sunday, Oliver decides he needs to move.

He needs to walk around and just leave the house for a moment.  However, he's keenly aware that he's always being watched.  He can't exactly sneak out, so he doesn't try.  He dresses warmly and heads downstairs.  No one stops him when he simply walks out the front door and along the pathway.

He gets in the Uber waiting just outside the gates.  

The young woman has great taste in music as they drive and Oliver allows himself to close his eyes, just for a moment.

When the car pulls up to a stop, Oliver thanks the driver and waves her off.

His steps are heavy on the grass, crisp and frozen with droplets of dew.  The crunch is oddly satisfying  under his weight.

How long has it been since he last came here? Almost three weeks since his release from the hospital? Maybe over a month since his hands were stained red with his alpha's blood...  He's lost count, all he knows is that he's a little over fourth months now.

He stops thinking about his mistakes and regret when he spots the one person he was searching for, the one he should've come to see after he lost his alpha.

"Ol-ver!"

Oliver smiles at the little boy running at the speed of light toward him.

He tries not to lose his balance when the little body slams against his legs, small arms wrapping around his knees.