31

Having Manny has lifted something off of Oliver's shoulders he hadn't realized was weighing him down now that he knows for certain the pup is safe.  He makes sure that his pup always has something to munch on, whether it be baby carrots or gummy bears.  He also makes sure the little boy gets three meals a day and day by day he watches the pup radiate pure happiness and joy as he grows.  He gains a healthy weight and sprouts like a weed to the point that they need to buy him new clothes.  And as the days blur by their bond as omega parent and pup grows too.  They're inseparable and Oliver finds himself sleeping with him and the alpha every night.

But something within Oliver isn't settled.

The urge to nest and provide consumes him until he can't ignore it.  He asks Boa the exact address for the house, but only gets a side-eye response.  Oliver promises not to do anything rash, states he just needs to buy things and would like them delivered.  They reach a compromise.  Oliver can do his online shopping and Boa will pick them up instead.  It works and soon enough the bed and dresser in his old room are replaced by boxes and cans of paint.

It's not that Olive is hiding what he's doing, but more like no one pays attention to him anymore.  Manny is usually by his side, tottering around and asking questions.  The omega dresses the pup in a sage green shirt with a printed t-rex on the front and overalls.  Oliver wears nearly the same with the exception of a striped shirt rather than a solid graphic.  If he had to say so himself, they're both adorable.

Quietly they sneak across the room and into the nursery.  Oliver opens the windows to the room and pops open a can of paint.

"Is this okay, Manny?"

"Si papi, I love amarillo (yes daddy, I love yellow)!"

"A-ma-ri-yo," Oliver sounds out, smiling when the pup giggles as he tickles his belly.

"Stop it papi, tickles!"

"Ok, ok," Oliver stops, "Are you going to help me baby?"

"Of course!"

Oliver gives the little one a brush and he shows him how to dip it in the paint before applying it to the wall without getting any on the floor.  Oliver thinks about adding carpet, or a rug, so his feet aren't always so cold.  Manny starts giggling uncontrollably and Oliver looks over to discover paint dripping onto the pup's sock-clad feet despite the lesson mere moments ago.  Oliver snorts in amusement before scolding him gently and painting his button nose.  The squeal of joy is worth the mess they make.

The door opens after a while and Oliver accidentally knocks over the paint can already half gone.  He curses softly, hoping his pup doesn't hear and earning an amused look from Oro.  It's then the alpha notices the paints and boxes and he frowns.

"What are you doing?"

Oliver flushes bright, hand curling around his belly by habit.

Oro glares at the brush in the omega's hand and he reaches out to snatch it from his hold.

"You shouldn't be exposing yourself to these fumes, not while you're pregnant."

"I'm okay," Oliver assures, "I opened the windows and the paint says it's non-toxic."

"If you wanted to redecorate all you had to do was tell me."

Oliver wants to explain that he didn't think the alpha would like that considering the room is a nursery for their pups.  The alpha finally takes a look at all of the boxes, looks at the pictures printed on some.  Oliver doesn't have to explain when Manny pulls the alpha and starts chatting about everything he and Oliver plan to add to the room.  He says papi got them bunk beds and a crib, but the crib is for the baby, but the baby will only use it when they're a bit older because when they're tiny they cry a lot.  But he doesn't cry a lot anymore, or so he tell his alpha dad.

Oro listens raptly and Oliver smiles at the sight when Manny then forces Oro to open a new paint can so they can finish and papi can rest.  Oliver insists on helping, but Oro growls softly.  The omega points out that there's nowhere to sit and if he sits on the floor he won't be able to get up now at seven and a half months pregnant.  He'd rather help paint than go away.

Oro looks around at the different boxes until he finds a rocking chair.  Again, Oliver flushes.  In all honesty he bought it thinking about the alpha, hoping he will bond with their pup once it's born.  He doesn't express as much, he's content pretending he's okay with leaving his pups behind.

The alpha sets out to build the chair then.  It takes close to thirty minutes which Oliver uses to continue painting much to the alpha's dismay.  Once it's built, though, the older man makes the omega rest.  Oliver only complies because Manny insists when he starts feeling fatigued and short of breath.

Half the room is painted when it starts growing dark and Oliver finds himself yawning.  Manny curls in Oliver's lap and rests his tiny hand against the omega's on his distended tummy.  A kick from the unborn pup causes a sharp inhale of amazement to fall from the pup and Oliver smiles despite the discomfort.

Oro stares at the pair from his spot before he starts cleaning up.  Oro plans on having the room painted overnight so he can build the crib and beds the following morning, get it done and over with so the omega doesn't have to.

When he finishes cleaning up Manny is drowsing against Oliver's chest, saliva making the pup's chin shiny and Oliver's shirt wet.

"You're matching."

"Manny picked it out, said he wanted to dress like papi."

"Papi, huh."

"I... yes... sorry.  I don't- I didn't mean to replace his other parent, but-"

"Save it.  He's happy and safe, that's all I care about.  Just don't get any illusions from this."

"I know."

Oro looks at the omega for a moment longer before offering to help him up, "let's wash up and go to bed."

Oliver finds himself leaning heavily against the alpha before the man takes the toddler into his arms.  Even then he finds his balance, his gait is slow and he has to use the wall for support.  Oro frowns.

"Let me put him down, don't push yourself."

Oliver nods, trying to breathe deeply.

The alpha returns within a minute, just as the omega winces and rubs his swollen middle.

"Hey, hey, breathe."

"I'm okay," Oliver grimaces, voice tight, "Braxton hicks."

"What?"

"False contractions," the omega explains.

There's a horror the alpha hides well at that as he guides the omega into their den and helps him undress. Manny is waiting sleepily on top of the bed already naked, small clothes strewn around the room.

"I can washup in the bathroom outside, you and Manny should use the ensuite."

"You barely made it from across the hall, what makes you think you'll manage to use the bathroom down the hall?"

"I'm feeling better," Oliver promises.

"Just wait your turn, wash up after us, I won't take long."

Oliver snorts, "you haven't bathed with Manny then.  He likes his bubbles."

"Bubbles!"

Oro sighs, "no buddy, just a quick shower, okay?"

The little boy stomps his left foot before running to the bathroom petulantly.  The alpha shoots the omega a glare and all Oliver can do is muffle his amusement.

When Oro steps back out nearly an hour later drenched from head to toe with remaining suds on his person, he finds the omega fast asleep snoring soundly in their bed.