16

"Hey there Maddie," she slurs, eyes unfocused.

"I'm not Maddie, you're Maddie," Oliver pauses, "shit no, you're Annie, I-I'm sorry I don't know what I'm doing."

"It's ok honey," and she smiles like she's proud or something and it makes his heartache, "you're doing great."

"I'm not," he croaks, "I'm really, really not."

He feels a hand on his shoulder and he looks up with a small sniff.  Oro cups his uninjured cheek, turning him this way and that, frowning when he finds the blooming bruise and the drying blood from his nose. 

"Colt will take you to the hospital," Oro begins, thumb caressing Oliver's cheek tenderly, "go home, Oliver."

Oliver wants to protest but the alpha is already turning away.  He feels his heart lurch as the loss of contact, but he feels Anne grow limp and he tries hard not to panic when she doesn't respond.  She's like a doll and blood seeps through her hair and clumps up.  He searches for the wound and when he finds it, he tries to apply pressure?  How are head injuries treated?

The beta, Colt, leans down before scooping Anne up effortlessly.

Oliver follows him silently, trying to breathe through the pain in his face.

He finds that the drive to the hospital is ten minutes at best.  No questions are asked when they walk through the entrance.  How many times has this happened before?

"- a couple of stitches are in place, have to come out in approximately two weeks."

He nods along to whatever the doctor is saying.

"-you can use ibuprofen for the concussion and lots of rest."

"Ibuprofen," he whispers to himself, "got it."

"-wake her every couple hours just to make sure things haven't worsened."

"Okay."

"Would you like me to check you over?"

Oliver pauses before reaching a hand to his swollen cheek, "no, I'm ok."

"Any fuzziness or major headaches you should come right away, you may have a concussion as well."

"I'm fine," he reassures, "thank you, though."

The doctor doesn't look convinced but doesn't push.  If someone refuses medical treatment it's not like they can intervene unless absolutely necessary.  Oliver is thankful when the staff finally leaves.

By the time Anne wakes up, they're free to go.  She's sluggish and isn't her chipper self.  It's odd and Oliver doesn't like the silence as they walk outside hand in hand.  Colt is, thankfully, waiting for them outside and he drives them to Oliver's apartment.

"I need to call my sister," Anne sighs against his shoulder, "she's watching my pup, need to tell her... I don't want to impose but... I can't let her see me like this."

"You can stay at my place," Oliver assures, "it might be a bit cramped, but it's just me.  I'm sure we can figure something out."

"Thank you, Oli."

They're dropped off a few blocks away without so much as a goodbye.  Fine by him.  He's tired anyway.

Once inside Oliver gives his phone to Anne (hers long ago dead) and heads to the bathroom to take the toy out and try to clean up just a little.  He then heads to the kitchen to make some tea or something.  It's all just an excuse to give Anne some privacy.  His face is a little numb from the cold but he can feel muscle spasms which make him cringe where he got punched.