prologue

ONLY THE BEGINNING

            IT WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN

IT WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN. That's what Gina kept repeating over and over again. It wasn't supposed to happen. Being a scientist meant there were going to uncertainties, but this, this was a problem.

Gina Morais was a young scientist with a brain full of knowledge. Knowledge that she passed down to her children—12 year old Rory and 5 year old Luis—both exceptionally bright young minds. And with working at home, some things were bound to happen. But this, it just wasn't.

The kids knew they were not allowed in the lab, they knew that, but they also knew to check in once they got home from school, it was a common rule.

Gina Morais knew the ins and outs of many experiments, even ones that could make a new element. When finishing this particular experiment, the last step was very, very important. She had to get the exact amount of one into the other.

It just so happens, however, the children walked a little faster that day. So, when they rushed in the door, yelling and stomping, Gina got frightened.

It wasn't supposed to happen, but it did. Her hand slipped and more of what was in her dropper fell.

First, nothing happened and Gina sighed with relief. But then, it all happened at once. The once dim room was alight and Gina was thrown back. The children hardly got to scream before they too were harshly thrown.

. . .

MANNY MORAIS DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. His home was on fire, police were questioning him, and EMS was rushing around.

He was in a daze. His wife, was she okay? His children, oh god, his children. What happened?

"Sir, sir!" An officer yelled.

Manny looked up. He was hyperventilating, he couldn't think straight.

"Sir, your family was taken to the hospital. Would you rather talk there?" The officer asked.

Manny nodded and stumbled quickly over to his car, only for the officer to grab his arm gently and tug him to the police cruiser. "You aren't in trouble, but you aren't stable enough to drive. Come on then."

Manny rushed into the hospital, asking and begging every nurse to know where his family was.

Finally one answered. "The children are okay, most likely concussed, but okay."

"And-and my wife? Gina?" Manny grasped the nurses arms.

Her face was downcast, and she heaved a sigh. "Uhm, Mrs. Gina Morais was DOA. I am so sorry to your loss." She patted the man's arm and walked away.

Manny stumbled to a chair and sat down. Then the tears came, all at once.

His wife, his beautiful, smart, caring wife, was gone. But his children were alive and they need him to be strong. Wiping the tears from his face, Manny stood and walked to another nurse.