chapter seventeen

OH TO BE INVISIBLE
────────────

OH TO BE INVISIBLE────────────

────────────

RAIN WAS POURING OVER NEW YORK, OF COURSE IT WAS. Everyone who knew Captain George Stacy came to his funeral. Rory and her family included.

She stayed by Gwen's side, offering her comfort for the grief of losing a parent. She knew what it felt like to live in a home without the other parent.

She also knew that Peter was here, in his own way. Gwen stopped and looked around at the tops of buildings before Rory pulled her along.

"Peter isn't here." Gwen sighed.

"He's here." Rory nodded, not looking to the girl.

"How do you know?" Gwen stopped her friend. Finally, Rory looked at her dead in the yes.

"I know."

. . .

OPENING THE FROMT DOOR, Rory didn't expect Peter to be standing there, the heavy rain soaking his body.

"Pete, what are you doing here?" The Morais girl asked as she walked out onto her porch and closed the front door.

"I really like you." Peter blurted out. "And, well, I would like to date you."

"I really like you too..." Rory faltered.

"But?" Peter continued for her.

"It's dangerous. For the both of us." She explained.

"I could keep you safe." Peter took a step closer to her.

"What if something happens to you?" The Morais girl asked rhetorically.

"I'd rather make sure you're safe." Peter answered honestly.

Rory knew the answer before she even asked, it was exactly what she would say.

"Exactly, we would worry about each other and that'll just end up killing us. You know I'm right." Rory backed up to her door. "Just promise me you'll stay away. It's better for us both."

"But-" Peter tried to protest but Rory cut him off quickly.

"I'm sorry, Peter." She said right before closing the door. She then just stood there, resting her head against the cool wood.