chapter thirty

AND SO IT BEGINS
——————————

AND SO IT BEGINS——————————

——————————

            RORY HAD A MESSAGE FROM GWEN, AND WHEN SHE PLAYED IT, SHE ALMOST CRIED.

"Hey, Ror, It's Gwen. I, uh, I got into Oxford! Woo-Whoo!" Her voice came from the phone, it echoed as Rory and Peter walked out of a tunnel.

Gwen laughed. "It's very exciting. I came by your house a little bit ago, Peter's too, and I, uh, you both weren't there and so I'm on...on my way to the airport right now, because there's this summer class that I found out about and I thought that it would somehow be easier, I guess, this way."

Rory stopped walking, tears threatening to fall.

"I think that maybe it's time to let each other go, at least for now. And it's not because I don't love you both, it's because I do. You two are my closest friends, and I'd love to be able to catch up in a few months, but for now I think we should just, cut...contact. Okay, that sounded rash, but, I hope you know what I'm trying to say. I want us to be friends, but right now we all don't know what we are gonna do for the rest of our lives and, I'd like to figure my future out." Gwen's voice broke. "I love you, Rory. You're the best sister I could have gotten. And Peter, I know you're with her, you are by far my favorite brother, but I need to figure myself out. So, uhm, okay...bye." The message cut off.

Peter was quick to yank his suit from his bag, Rory following swiftly after him.

They both didn't want to lose Gwen, not like this. They understood what she was saying, but they needed her comforting presence when they couldn't talk to each other. And so, they changed quickly to set off to find their blonde best friend.

. . .

            GWEN SAT IN A TAXI, stuck in traffic as she was headed to the airport. People around them got out of their cars and the sound of a crowd grew louder and louder.

"It's Spider-man and Lady Hecate!" The driver smiled. Gwen leaned forward and chuckled.

"Stop the cab." She said absentmindedly. The driver scoffed.

"Lady, I ain't even movin!" He shrugged. Gwen ignored him and climbed out of the cab. She followed a ground of people who had gathered at the edge of the bridge.

Looking over, Williamsburg Bridge was covered in webs. They spelled out the words Gwen would never be able to get out of her head for the rest of her life.