chapter eight

THE STAGES OF LOSS
—————————

THE STAGES OF LOSS—————————

—————————

            SHE SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT, BUT SHE WAS GLAD SHE DID. She was a curious girl, Rory was. It wasn't stalking, per say, it was just curiosity.

Once Rory got home, she made sure to stop by her father's office to let him know she was going on a watch before she rushed to her room to change. Quickly placing a bandage on her cut palm.

Her suit was handmade, and very nice. The black and slightly red outfit was perfect for her side gig. Pulling her hair into two braids, she put her mask on and jumped out her window.

It took a while until Rory found Peter, but she kept watch of him from the shadows, making sure to keep the light off of her. It wasn't stalking, it was keeping her peers safe.

Watching from the top of a building, Rory saw as a man with sunglasses walked out of a gas station, Peter following shortly after.

Her attention was drawn away from the brunette boy as the gas station worker came running out, yelling for someone to stop the blond. He turned to Peter but the boy just shrugged.

She jumped down to the street and as the blond man caught sight of her, he took off.

Rory was fast, she was sure of that, but the streets were packed and the man was weaving in and out, pushing people over as he ran.

Standing on a car after losing sight of him, she saw him fall and a gun slide away from him. Then, she saw Peter's uncle, Ben, run forward to stop him.

"No!" Ben yelled as he began wrestling the gun away.

"Sir! Sir, don't do that!" Rory yelled as she ran forward. But then. a gunshot rang out and Rory faltered, her eyes widened.

Ben fell over onto the ground and the blond man staggered away. Rory ran at full force.

"No! No, no, no, no, no!" She yelled as she halted by the body.

Dropping to her knees, she pushed her shaking hands onto the wound. The older man's aura was getting dimmer and dimmer, he was dying.

Peter staggered over, tears forming in his eyes. Rory wanted to run over and hug him, but she couldn't blow her cover.

"Hey, hey you!" She called to him. He looked at her with a dazed look. "Hey, I need you to call the police. Get an ambulance down here." Peter fell next to her on the ground.