chapter thirtyfour

SPIDER-MAN
—————————

SPIDER-MAN—————————

—————————

            THE MAN IN THE TRILBY HAT FOLLOWED HIS ORDERS TO A 'T'. Going to Oscorp, he stood in a dark elevator.

"Welcome, Mr. Fiers." Kari's soft, automated voice sounded in the elevator.

"Who's our first volunteer?" Harry had asked him.

"Aleksei Sytsevich." Fiers answered. "Currently serving a life sentence. He is...most eager to join us."

Presently, Fiers walked through the Special Projects room, stopping briefly at a mechanical rhino.

"Perfect." Harry smiled. "Start with him. I want to crush Hecate."

. . .

            RORY STOOD IN THE KITCHEN, preparing a bag of popcorn for herself and Luis while Manny was at work.

He had finally taken his daughter's advice and submitted some of his works to The Daily Bugle and he had gotten the job he so desperately wanted.

"Rory, come look." Luis called to her, the news playing on the TV. Rory walked over, leaving the popcorn on the counter.

"Russian gangster Aleksei Sytevich was broken out of a classified penitentiary known simply as The Vault by an unknown team of men. It's yet another example of increased criminal activity since the disappearance of Spider-man five months ago. Lady Hecate tries her best to fight off the criminals, but she's only one hero. The web swingers absence has left a hole in the heart of the city. Even the New York City Police Department has joined the chorus of New Yorkers in hoping for the return of the web slinger. The entire world seems to be asking the same question: 'Where is Spider-man? And how can Lady Hecate save the day alone?'"

Rory sighed. She flopped down next to Luis.

"I am capable of saving New York on my own." She sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. Peter deserved his time to grieve. He truly blamed himself, more than Rory could imagine.

"You'll be okay. Peter will too." Luis smiled softly. Rory glanced at him and smiled.

"When did you get so wise? Where did my little Lu go?" She messed with his hair.

"He's still here. But right now, I have to be you're...Guy in the Chair!" He smiled brightly. Rory smiled as well. She stood, tossing the popcorn bag at him.