chapter eleven

EXCUSES AND BATTLES
——————————

EXCUSES AND BATTLES——————————

——————————

            AFTER ANOTHER HOUR, THE TEENS GREW TIRED OF MATH. Putting on their jackets, the two walked down the stairs and to the front door.

"Papa! We're going on a walk!" Rory yelled into the house.

"Okay, get home soon!" Manny yelled back. Rory nodded, even though she knew her father wouldn't see it, and walked out after Peter.

The cool night air whisks around the two as they wandered in silence.

"You have a pretty cool family." Peter spoke up. Rory glanced at him and chuckled.

"Yeah they're pretty fun." She nodded. "Ya know, I always thought my dad would get a new wife after the accident, but he truly was in love with my mom."

"I like to think my parents died while holding onto each other. They were troubled but they both loved me and each other." Peter confessed.

"I always wanted to do what my mother did—career wise. I'm just scared people will find out." The Morais girl blurted out.

"Find out what?" Peter came to a halt, turning his body to face hers.

"Uhm, I'm just scared people will find out, uh, what she was working on." Rory rushed out. "Honestly, I don't even know what it was, and it's been years. I want to redo her experiment and see what went wrong."

Peter nodded but both teens were pulled out of their silence by growing police sirens. From where they stood, they could see all the law enforcement darting to the bridge.

"You know, it's getting kinda late." Peter said as he looked back to the girl in front of him.

"Yeah, I gotta, uhm, put Luis to bed. It was awesome hanging out with you." Rory smiled innocently. She really needed to get over there.

"Yeah you too. Oh, uh, I would be happy to help you with your mom's experiment at some point." Peter said as he and Rory backed away from each other.

"Yeah, that would be awesome. See ya!" She waved before walking away.

When she turned around and didn't see Peter, she ran to an alleyway. From the hand sewed secret pocket in her baggy jacket, Rory pulled out her suit.

Quickly, the Morais girl changed, tucked her regular clothes into the jacket pocket, and hid it around her home.

. . .