Chapter 23: Inbound Danger

March 9, 1942

"LAND! FINALLY!"

I've been out at sea for 6 days, which made me go insane, I'm half sure. The 25 of us (Jesus, dude) slowly approach the small island of Attu, heading towards the naval city.

Marblehead, shivering: "Ooh! It's real cold out!"

Honolulu, also shivering: "Why is it cold? It's spring!"

Damn, they're right. We were so used to staying within the towers that the cold crept up without us noticing.

"Everyone! Put on those jackets I gave you before we left!" I zip up the white coat I'm wearing over my uniform, getting ready for the landing. Everybody's wearing the same thing (except the Sakura girls, but they seem used to this temperature).

I rub Eldridge's head. "I'll see you soon, Eldridge."

Eldridge: "See you soon, Commander... (Sparks fly)"

I hop on a small, motorized boat on the side of the Eldridge, and give her a thumbs up. The boat slowly approaches the cold water.

Once it lands in the water, I rev up the motor, which starts breathing life, likely for the first time. I grab hold of the throttle grip, blaring my way forward, ahead of everyone.

--

Slowing down, I beach the motorboat and hop onto land, finally using my legs over a larger surface area.

???: "Davis! You're here!"

I get tackled back into the beached boat, looking at the smiling noirette who's pinning me down.

...Belfast's orgasming face flashes in my head...

"...Hey, Hirata."

She hugs me tightly. It hurts.

I hope you can forgive me, Hirata.

Hirata: "So!" She claps her hands. "How's Z23?"

"You can go ask her; she's coming right now."

Hirata: "Really?!" She spins off me, looking to the horizon.

"Oh, yeah. Hirata."

Hirata: "Mmm?"

"I've got some Sakura girls who working with me."

Hirata, looking back at me, slight fear/confusion in her face: "...You what?"

"I've got some-"

Hirata: "I heard you the first time! But, like, what do you mean, they're 'working' with you?"

"They wanted to abandon the Sakura Empire and join the Azur Lane. They won't try to kill us... I think."

Hirata: "You think?"

"Eh. They haven't attacked us yet, so I don't think they'll try to blast us all to high heaven. Well, they're surrounded, but still."

Hirata: "Wait..."

"And, yes, they're helping us. We now have 24 unique ships helping us out on this mission. 7 destroyers, 5 cruisers, 6 battleships, 5 aircraft carriers, and Repair Ship Vestal."

Hirata: "Do we have enough fuel..."

"Well, if you usually stockpile 40% more backup fuel than is needed for a normal fleet setup, you should be fine. 'Sides, most of the girls will be in their rigging, which limits the amount of fuel they'll be consuming to begin with. So, we should be fine."

I shake my head, exasperated. "I was not expecting things to go this way, but whatever."

???: "'Course you wouldn't. A dumbass like you wouldn't be able to solve basic math problems, much less expect backup."