Chapter 34: The Empire Strikes Back

May 25, 1942

Entering the infirmary, I look around the somewhat filled room. Lexington, Sims and Yorktown were heavily injured during the Battle only a few weeks ago, and the prisoners of war U-101 and U-96 got a heavy thrashing courtesy of Ray.

Yorktown: "Oh, Commander."

Lexington: "Ah, Commander~! Did you come to visit 'Lady Lex'?"

"Uh, kinda. Lex, Yorkie, Sims, how are you holding up?"

Lexington: "I've had better days..."

Sims: "I feel soooooo tired..."

Yorktown: "At least your internal bleeding stopped."

Sims: "Yeah, at least that happened. Ahaha-ow."

Yorktown: *Sighs* "It hurts, but we'll live."

"At least you can say that."

Sims: "Say, what happened at base while we were out? And... who're they?"

Sims points to the U-boats. 96 is reading a magazine while 101 is still unconscious.

"We've received word that a large force, consisting of the Sakura Empire kansen, are currently moving out. Where, we don't know. As for them..." I look to the two of them. "...U-96 on the left, U-101 on the right. Captured when they snuck their way into R&D, so prisoners of war." I shake my head. "You should've seen how bad Ray bashed them. Vestal was half-sure U-101 was going to be a vegetable the rest of her life."

U-96 nods.

Yorktown: "Jesus, just what did Hernandez do?!"

"He... didn't want to talk about it. Also, Hernandez?" Yorktown realizes her mistake. "Nobody calls him that. It's either Ray, Lieutenant Commander, or some nickname he hates. Do you... Do you have a crush on him?"

Yorktown, with an unmistakable blush on her face: "...Can we forget that this happened?"

Sims: "Lemme think... No."

"I'm afraid not, lass."

Lexington: "It's kind of cute, Yorktown."

Vestal, coming in with a box: "I agree with Lexington."

Yorktown: "Vestal, not you too!"

We laugh, with Sims stopping midway due to her broken rib.

Vestal: "Say, Commander? Why are you here? I mean, I don't dislike the company, and I'm sure they don't, either, but..." She pulls out a needle and a bottle of what I can only assume to be morphine.

"No, I get it. I just stopped by to check up on these three. The admirals are brainstorming ideas to solve the Midway attack we assume is coming soon. As of now, what we have is the USAAF, more well known as the Blue Talons Air Force, will be inbound with Saratoga for air defence along the atoll."

Lexington: "Wait, Saratoga?"

"Yeah. She'll be here soon. Didn't tell you since you were half-dead."

After a few minutes of Lex giving me the silent treatment (with a cute little pout, I swear, you should see it!), I leave to check up on Midway. Judgement day approaches...

--

Meanwhile...

Waves quietly crash upon my hull as I rest on the bridge. In a few hours ' time, I and a lot of our forces will be leaving Japan to the invasions of Attu Island Chain and the Midway Atoll. The sun slowly peaks above the horizon.