XXI

Irene was washing her tumbler at the sink when she saw a familiar figure going into her direction. It was Lisa, coming near her with an intention to start a conversation. She cleared her throat and quickly dried her hands with a paper towel. She took her phone around her left ear and pretentiously started to talk with someone.

Lisa sighed, her lips puckered in disappointment. The Supervisor has been always with her phone since their last encounter. During lectures after office hours, Irene suggested it to be done through virtual. They go home separately.

When Lisa will try to talk casually on Irene, the latter will start talking about another topic. Even an nincompoop can understand that Irene has been avoiding her.

Lisa will admit, what she said last time was mean and it might really offended the Supervisor that's why she was persuading her to talk.

"Supervisor, can you give me a minute?" Lisa asked, eventhough she can see that Irene was on her phone.

"Uh sure, but I have to take this call, just chat me through teams." Irene excused herself.

The tenderness and joy in her voice were gone. It was really like Irene was talking to a stranger, an intern with no emotional connection to her. It was honestly annoying but Lisa asked for this and she had to deal with the consequences.

Lisa nodded her head and went inside their office. She was done chasing the Supervisor. Three days of keeping up with her with lack of acknowledgement was enough. If the Supervisor wants something like this, so be it.

Although a small part of her became sad about throwing the friendship they built, she just needs to accept that they weren't that compatible. Still, she was thankfuk for the bond that Supervisor spent with her.

It was like an at least we met situation but less romantic.

Lisa starts to encode some details on her laptop, Irene needs it before lunch but Lisa was still out of focus. She can't make it on time and she knows it won't be a problem. She can turn in it late.

"Ms. Manoban, how's the document I've told you to prepare? Please send it to me ten minutes before lunch." Irene asked without looking at Lisa. Her usual cold voice starts to get even more annoying for Lisa.

"I'm on halfway finishing it." Lisa respond with the same tone.

"Didn't I said that I need it before lunch?" Irene asked, looking at Lisa with a cold stare.

"Yes, but as you've heard. It's impossible unless I skip my lunch." Lisa said nonchalantly. She thought she can getaway with this.

"Then skip your lunch. At least, try to make it before 1pm. I told you what time I need it, and it's not impossible if you started it right away." Irene commented. The Supervisor was right but Lisa was pissed off. It felt like she was a child getting scolded.

"Learn to respect the time." Irene added and Lisa gritted her teeth in annoyance.

That shortie!

Lisa rubbed her eyes, in a manner that her eyeshadows won't be disrupted. She can be annoyed but she can't be less pretty.

"What's your task this afternoon?" Irene asked Lisa.

"Nothing. Sorting some files, I guess."  Lisa said looking at the stacks of folder.

"Okay, I have something for you to finish first. Please create a letter of invitation for all the department heads to come at the conference room tomorrow, 3pm." Irene said clearly.

"I'll have it proofread and sign in an hour." Irene added.

Lisa nodded in understanding and smiled sarcastically. Is Irene telling her that this was the set up they will have if Irene didn't even had a feelings for her in the first place? Cold shoulders and rush commands? So this is how an intern gets treated?