XXXII

If panic were a person, it would be Irene. Her hands were shaking as she made the coffee Lisa had ordered. She spilt some coffee and milk from time to time, and she kept sneaking glances in Lisa's direction to check if it was really her. Her ex was patiently waiting at a table in the corner.

It's really her. She mumbled.

Irene shut her eyes once she grasped reality. Her breathing laboured, anxiety gripping her stomach. Each action she took from now on could either win Lisa back or let her go for good.

Irene sighed. If they aren't meant together - no, please, she'd be willing to get a loan to have tons of coins to throw it on a wishing well just to make her wish come true.

Once she finished preparing Lisa's order, she grabbed the tray and headed towards Lisa's table.

"You could have called my name. I can get it myself." Lisa hid her phone.

"There's no one else here besides you. It's all good." Irene smiled, though she couldn't understand how she managed to appear normal on the outside while her insides were in turmoil with anxiety.

"Seems like you still have a long day ahead of you. I don't think I should disturb you now. Can I please have this as to go-" Lisa was cut off when Irene came rushing to the door to flip the signage into "close" and shut some blinds.

"Uhmm." Lisa cleared her throat.

Irene went back to Lisa and sat on the adjacent chair, still panting.

"Don't worry about it. My goal is to only serve one customer per day, and then I'm good to close." Irene said,  her panic intensifying.

"Since when?" Lisa laughed lightly. She's loving this.

"Since today." Irene nodded, convincing herself.

Lisa leaned her back comfortably, and Irene sighed in relief when she noticed an indication that Lisa would stay a little longer.

"What should I call you now? Irene, Ms. Bae, my ex or Mrs. -" Lisa asked playfully.

She's so good to find a way about subtly asking if I am married. Irene thought.

"Irene. Ms. Bae is too formal. My ex, it's childish, and Mrs. I'm not yet married." Irene answered.

"More than two years since we last met and you're not married?" Lisa asked unbelievably.

"Do I have to?"

"Nope." Lisa said.

"You look different." Irene said. She was surprised when she said it outload.

"Ah, probably because I stopped smoking. I now look younger." Lisa answered comfortably.

"That's nice to hear, but I mean, you look more mature. That's a compliment."

"How about drinking? Sometimes, you can cut back by finding other activities to do. You could ask for help to learn subtle ways to do that. It wouldn't feel like you're quitting drinking, but that's the goal. Uh, you get it, right?" Irene stuttered nervously.

"Thanks for the advice." Lisa chuckled.

"Coffee is great. The pastry? I didn't expect you would be this good baker."

"I kept myself busy because if not, I'll go crazy. Accounting also took a toll on me. My passion for it was gone." Irene shyly smiled.

"You see, this pastry is called Towel Cake. My best seller." Irene said through a playful whisper.

"Lisa Manoban's Mango Cake. I- I replicate the appearance of the cake that I first ever made. Your birthday, when your father asked me to buy some but some disaster happened and I have to bake by myself." Irene said shyly.