Threats

In the weeks that past, Mama has made sure that there's a curfew in place, and there's tighter security. I'm scared that's not going to be enough. Frankie left the day after the competition, and I must say I do miss her company. I feel like time has sped by me, because my eight months are almost up. I only have a couple weeks left in Nicaragua, but something deep down tells me that I'll be back. This place is home now, and I can't ever imagine leaving for good. I look down at my ring. I especially can't imagine leaving Eddy.
The phone rings, and someone answers it, and then calls for me.
"Hello?"
"Ana," Frankie's voice says, petrified. "Remember how you wouldn't tell you're father who raped you?"
"Yeah."
"I think he might know."
"How?"
"Here I'll read it...Its all over the news. "Steven Fraiser, one of the worlds richest business men, has denied any allegations against twenty year old Brittany Stewart, who accuses Fraiser of raping and physically assaulting her when she was only sixteen years old." Oh, Frankie, I know its him."
I feel like the walls are closing in on me. I slump to the floor, powerless. Nothing is going to be okay. When is it going to be over? When are my demons finally going to go away?
"I can't tell anyone. He promised to kill me or someone that I love. Like you. Like my twin brother, or even my dad. I can't let that happen. Besides, it happened a long time ago."
"He could kill you to keep quiet, Ana. He did this to you, and to another girl. You should press-"
"No!" I yell into the phone. Lowering my voice, I say, "I love too many people to watch them die. And I wouldn't want them to die, knowing they were taking the fall for me. Frankie, no. Nothing you say or do will convince me, okay?"
"Fine. Listen, I have to go, okay? Take care and tell everyone hi."
The second I put the phone down, it rings again. "Hello?"
"Hi, I'm looking for Anastasia O'Neil." Its him. Oh God.
I take a deep breath. "Speaking, Mr. Fraiser."
"Just wanted to remind you that you promised not to say a word."
"No need to remind me, Mr. Fraiser. I haven't forgotten. My lips are sealed."
"Just in case they aren't, let me tell you again. If you utter a word, about what happened on July 4th, I will choose someone you love. And I will kill them. It might be your brother, father, best friend... Or how about your new boyfriend, Eduardo? Or Celestia? Or Raina? Or Diego?"
"That's a little cruel, don't you think, sir? Hurting innocent people? Even if I was to tell police, which I won't, what if you get caught?"
"Oh, Ms. O'Neil. I'll take my chances." And he hung up.
I couldn't move, I was paralyzed. I couldn't speak, I couldn't hear, I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even cry. Yet again, I was falling to pieces. And if I asked for help, I would drag my loved ones down with me.
"Anastasia?" Mama asks, smiling. "Are you okay?"
I smile. I'm back where I started... Fake smiles and happiness. "Who me? I'm perfect."